Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning products

I've been using straight white vinegar to clean the bathrooms for quite a while now. Even DW has noticed how much the hard surfaces sparkle. I used to use Bon Ami and elbow grease to clean the tub and shower tile, but I've gotten lazy and a little time-pressed so now use a melamine-foam ("eraser"-type) sponge for that, saving it between uses until it's used up. Ecover's toilet bowl cleaner has plant-based ingredients and works as well as the foul-smelling stuff.

In the kitchen, it's 7th Generation dish soap and dishwasher detergent. I've discovered that, for our dishwasher (an ASKO) the difference is in the water temperature and the rinse aid. The citrus-based rinse aid I buy at the co-op works well. But one week I needed rinse aid and bought Jet-Dry Finish and it's amazing. Scraped dishes in; clean dry dishes out. I'll have to check out further what's in it; there's an environmental cost to it, sure, but there's an environmental cost to re-cleaning dishes, too.

I've tried a million deodorants and anti-perspirants. I am hoping that, in a future life, I come back not sweating profusely. The only products that work for me are "conventional". So I've shrugged my (now-dry) shoulders and concentrate on using "better" products for shaving, moisturizing, shampooing, and bathing.

Just by living on this planet, one makes it less "green". Everyone will have an environmental impact; a carbon footprint. But we can have some say in the size of the impact. If a "green" product doesn't work well and the conventional equivalent is not comparable to U^238, I'll use as little of the conventional product as I can and just go on.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I've gone to vinegar and water in the extraction carpet cleaner. The room does smell until dry. Seems to work well.

Always been interested in the homemade clothes detergent but it seems complicated.

My list of cleaning products has lessened over the past few years.

Deodorant update----lemon?

Has anyone tried using a lemon as deodorant? Last night I tried it after washing under my arms first. Note to self-don't scrub too hard and apply lemon. After the my tears dried and the searing pain died, I tried a bit of lemon essential oil diluted with water on a cotton ball. This morning, no smell. Then I was lazy and tried a bit of the lemon-shaped bottled juice from the fridge, which didn't smell too lemony but didn't burn either.

Went to the barn, cleaned, rode, bathed my horse. Sweat like a, well, a horse. Came home, walked my dog. Warm sunny day.

Result---no smell! My shirt didn't even smell. I had read about using a lemon slice as deodorant for a while but never tried it. This week I'll use an actual lemon instead of bottled juice.

Doing research online, lemon is great for cleaning around the house as well.

Thread Information