Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 to 1.

I am not upset about it. I am not trying to advance anyway.

I am not trying to advance anyway.
    Clearly. You often say you are bored, and you are one of the most prolific posters during working hours. Your employer is already not getting the full value for what they pay you.

Have you considered:

Take half of the time you spend here poking sharp sticks at people and do one of the following:

- go to your boss and ask for more work
    - network with people in other department (ie make relationships, go out to lunch) to see if there is a different department that would suit you better.
    - streamline a process
    - create a training program for a tool or a process

Ah right. That takes effort. Much easier to play the victim card, and you can be morally smug that The Man (or is this case, The Woman) is doing it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Clearly. You often say you are bored, and you are one of the most prolific posters during working hours. Your employer is already not getting the full value for what they pay you.

Have you considered:

Take half of the time you spend here poking sharp sticks at people and do one of the following:

- go to your boss and ask for more work
    - network with people in other department (ie make relationships, go out to lunch) to see if there is a different department that would suit you better.
    - streamline a process
    - create a training program for a tool or a process

Ah right. That takes effort. Much easier to play the victim card, and you can be morally smug that The Man (or is this case, The Woman) is doing it to you.
    1. I am second or third most productive on the team. I am also the only one who comes up with new ideas (or any ideas at all) to take on the challenges here in the department. My boss has told me this and thanked me, despite never using any of my ideas. haha! But she says: "No one else even offers anything."

2. I don't want to work here, so I am enrolled in classes to start in the fall to get into a different profession. We'll see how that pans out.

3. I have got things pretty streamlined, which is why I chat on here.

4. I am not really the creating a training program tool or process type. Besides, this is just data entry/data transfer 95% of the time. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Yes, I post on here a lot. And you are the richer for it. Otherwise you'd be bored.

I work in a field and department that is overwhelmingly female. Also with my summer staff I am the only totally white person, everyone is hispanic except the one staff person who is Phillipino. So I am gender majority and racial minority. I also started working in the 80's so plenty of sexism in that era!

My mindset now is to not take everything that is unfair as sexist. I am hoping that it is really changing overall, I have had one issue in this department I saw as sexist in 5 years ( a couple men saying things in meetings that were praised and female colleagues got in trouble for saying same things). However I see favoritism and unfairness. I am a racial minority however I haven't felt a reverse trend, there are more white staff the higher up the ladder but not heavily skewed one way or another.

Each is a case by case basis, it sucks when you are the one with the higher education and you watch people get paid more and move up. Sometimes it seems to affect me that I am not in a buddy network with everyone and I have to work pretty hard to get noticed (being quiet doesn't always help but since being super outgoing is not natural for me it comes out all weird anyway). However unless I can point to a factor of sexism then I will call it plain old unfairness.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I was thinking that this demographic make up precludes me from advancing.
    Why?
    Another option, think Wheaties.

1. I am second or third most productive on the team. I am also the only one who comes up with new ideas (or any ideas at all) to take on the challenges here in the department. My boss has told me this and thanked me, despite never using any of my ideas. haha! But she says: "No one else even offers anything."

2. I don't want to work here, so I am enrolled in classes to start in the fall to get into a different profession. We'll see how that pans out.

3. I have got things pretty streamlined, which is why I chat on here.

4. I am not really the creating a training program tool or process type. Besides, this is just data entry/data transfer 95% of the time. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Yes, I post on here a lot. And you are the richer for it. Otherwise you'd be bored.
    1. Is it an honest thanking, or a sarcastic, thanks now go aways thanks?
    2. Are the classes paid for, or are you adding to your long student debt? Do you actually have a direction that your taking, or did you dart board your classes to see if you might like something? (cart before the horse)
    3. If your at work and your not working, it is still theft. (not just your time, but if it affects any of your coworkers, their time as well. I get so tired of being late from (redacted due to TOS), causing me to get off late, because they were playing with their phones.
    4. A job a robot will replace soon enough. We only have to get on building a robot to do the posting part, or have lives to keep us from getting bored.
    Last edited by ToomuchStuff; 6-29-16 at 10:50am. Reason: Spelling, don't design woodworking projects at the same time, LOL

When I saw 9 to 1, I thought those were going to be your summer work hours, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    When I saw 9 to 1, I thought those were going to be your summer work hours, lol.
    No, I think 9 to 11 would be more like it in ULA's case. ZING!!!

They hired three new researchers at my work. All three new hires are women. I am the only guy. One guy; nine women total.
    You're a straight guy. I don't see the problem. Now if it were my work group going all female but for me...

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Why?
    Another option, think Wheaties.
    Nope. I am just your run of the mill cis, straight guy.

1. Is it an honest thanking, or a sarcastic, thanks now go aways thanks?
    Well, I actually had my annual review yesterday. Apparently I had the fewest mistakes of anyone on the team over the past year.

2. Are the classes paid for, or are you adding to your long student debt? Do you actually have a direction that your taking, or did you dart board your classes to see if you might like something? (cart before the horse)
    Classes are free because I work for the university. I am taking social work classes at the MSW level. I am taking two classes to feel it out. If I don't like it I will stop after the first two. If I like it I can continue on and even take 3 classes per semester.

3. If your at work and your not working, it is still theft. (not just your time, but if it affects any of your coworkers, their time as well. I get so tired of being late from (redacted due to TOS), causing me to get off late, because they were playing with their phones

I don't have a cell phone. And besides, I'd say my employer steals from me by not paying me enough for my time. But it is kind of you to stick up for all the exploited employers out there! Stockholm Syndrome!

4. A job a robot will replace soon enough. We only have to get on building a robot to do the posting part, or have lives to keep us from getting bored.
    Yes, a robot or a part-time student employee will have my job soon enough. Then you can rest easy knowing that another employer has been rescued from all the suffering it was enduring by overpaid, lazy workers. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    You're a straight guy. I don't see the problem. Now if it were my work group going all female but for me...
    What does my str8ness have to do with it in this context?

Thread Information