Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soggy "filler" in 88 cents a pound chicken

Other than jacking up the price of chicken by adding the weight of salt water what exactly is the point of injecting them with saline solution? Or IS that the point?

And if creaker's 20% is common, on a 5 lb bird that would be a pound of water and a 4 lb bird.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Other than jacking up the price of chicken by adding the weight of salt water what exactly is the point of injecting them with saline solution? Or IS that the point?

And if creaker's 20% is common, on a 5 lb bird that would be a pound of water and a 4 lb bird.
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/...ultry/ct_index

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumping

So basically they justify it because essentially they are "pre-brining" my chicken but charging me the cost of chicken by weight instead of $39/5000 gallons of brine. That's pretty much what I figured.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So basically they justify it because essentially they are "pre-brining" my chicken but charging me the cost of chicken by weight instead of $39/5000 gallons of brine. That's pretty much what I figured.
    And I love how the laws allow quite a bit of leeway on what is "natural"...

Grrrr.

I just read the link about plumping and I am sure that is what is going on. We were in Costco yesterday (the cathedral of consumption) and I looked at their chicken and saw no indications of plumping so they must not allow it. My other gripe is paying for that little sack of "gravy mix" when we buy a turkey breast which adds to the weight and we never use because it isn't very good. Tossing around the idea of raising our own chickens.

We try to stick with Springer Mountain chicken, but I'm afraid we occasionally succumb to the lure of cheap & easy rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.

Thread Information