Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My New Place Will Qualify As A Tiny House!

You are dong a great job. what an exciting time!!

The first large piece of furniture is gone, courtesy of Craigslist. This is becoming real all of the sudden...also, I was at my mom's telling her about all the things that are going on regarding getting rid of all my stuff and I think it is really starting to hit her that I am leaving. Oh man, this is so hard. She started crying a little, and so did I. She is having a lot of problems with arthritis again, and is having her second knee replacement in September. There is a part of me that feels horribly guilty for moving so far away when the problems of aging are becoming more and more apparent. But the other part of me knows I really need to do this move for myself. I think I am so tired of putting other people's lives in front of my own (which sounds a bit selfish, but oh well).

I tackled the scary corner of my closet today and tossed two garbage bags worth of old slides and photos (I have an MFA in Photography from way back in the 1980's). But I kept two boxes of old negatives and four various sizes of archival boxes of my old photo prints and early art work. I will be storing them in my ex-MIL's basement for the time being. I also took a bronze head sculpture I did over the course of one semester in art school to her house and she has it displayed in her living room. One small box of old family mementos I can't give up went over there as well. Now it looks like I am going to have to take my old film cameras and accessories over there too; I am just not ready to give them up yet but I won't have room for them out in NM. I'll probably end up selling them someday but I can't deal with that right now.

Much progress today!

Excellent progress and I'm so happy your exMIL is so willing. It's your time to be yourself for a while. Remember that.

I was just flipping through one of those Facebook click-bait slide-shows--this one was called "American Cities Stuck in the 60s" meaning they are still hippie hot-spots, and guess what #7 was? Madrid, NM!!! Of all the towns in the US! They said:

Thanks to the Turquoise Trail, the former ghost town of Madrid is finding new life as a burgeoning arts community. Galleries and boutiques sprout quicker than weeds, and the old mining feel has turned into a biker one. Like Yellow Springs, the city's buildings are brightly decorated to stand out from their desert surroundings.
    http://travel.alot.com/themes/americ...0s--10164?s=14

"New life as a burgeoning art community"! You're on the crest of the wave, SiouzQ!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yeah, I've seen that too. The list is a little late getting on board, 'cause it's been like that since the early '90's or so. The word has been out, and real estate has been going up, up, up. I think the only thing that will save it from itself is that it remains unincorporated and still exists due to old mining grants. And the water is terrible to drink, highly
    sulphuric (sp?). It really is a bastion of alternative living!

SiouzQ - your ex-MIL's basement doesn't have water issues, does it? I hope you're putting the smaller items in plastic storage tubs, not cardboard boxes.

I agree with you that it is time to put yourself first. I left my town where my Mom lived when she was 73 for a great job. She encouraged me to go. It is not selfish. You have a right to happiness and following your dreams.

SQ, forgot to say, good luck on your new adventure. Waiting to hear how your new living space works out in practice.

Little by little, I am re-homing my mixed-media found object art collages! I posted a Sneak Peak Photo Album on my Facebook Page and invited my friends to comment on the ones they would like; I also made an Open House Event for the weekend of August 6 & 7 for friends to come over a peruse what I have leftover and to pick up their artworks. I'm just asking for a donation (or not) in any amount they feel comfortable with to help pay my moving expenses. Others have expressed interest in the collages but have no money to spend so I am insisting they take the one the want anyway as a gift. It is making me feel good to give so much away!

I have earned a little money from some furniture and other stuff I've sold on CraigsList. I don't know though, for once in my life I am just not worried at all about the money aspect of things. In the space of a few short weeks, I have already changed a lot of things about myself for the better. I feel like I have really opened up and chilled out quite a bit. I am feeling more social, more generous, and more present in things. It leads me to believe I have really been suffering a case of situational depression for the last few years....

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    . . . I don't know though, for once in my life I am just not worried at all about the money aspect of things. In the space of a few short weeks, I have already changed a lot of things about myself for the better. I feel like I have really opened up and chilled out quite a bit. I am feeling more social, more generous, and more present in things. It leads me to believe I have really been suffering a case of situational depression for the last few years....
    Maybe another sign that you're right where the universe is telling you that you need to be.. Going in the right direction.

Thread Information