Thread: Maintaining small engines question

Maintaining small engines question

For years, my late DH repaired the lawn mower, chain saws, rototiller, snow removal equipment but now I have to do so. It really irks me to pay $300 to pick up my lawn mower, change the oil, filter and spark plug, sharpen the blade and return to my house. What it really needs is once a year oil change that I want to do. Same thing for the snowblower. I have lots of tools, the willingness to work myself but the oil mess is a barrier.

Is there a simple oil pump system that will remove the used oil from small engines?

The snow blower requires me to remove a wheel, tip the blower on its side backwards and wrestle to undo the oil plug. Catching the oil without spilling is a huge challenge. It is really crazy in design but costly to pay someone to do every year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    The snow blower requires me to remove a wheel, tip the blower on its side backwards and wrestle to undo the oil plug. Catching the oil without spilling is a huge challenge. It is really crazy in design but costly to pay someone to do every year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    You might also cost out how much it would cost to buy a snowblower that does not require such gymnastics for an oil change. My 2015 Toro has a drain plug right on the back; all I have to do is tip back the machine. Price out paying someone for 5-10 oil changes (or more if you really use it a lot) plus what you'd get for selling the current 'blower and you might find it cheap enough to just buy a different snowblower.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Talk about a wish come true. I have to check the size of my small engines' dipstick openings.
    Thanks so much.

I didn't know that about the Troy snowblower either.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information