Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: To grey or not to grey--that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I don't think as a society there is pressure put on women to dye their hair, etc. I think it is an individual preference like the type of clothes you wear. At this age i could care less what others think and do what I enjoy doing for myself.
    I was thinking along the lines of what a younger co-worker had said, that her then fiancé told her that "if she ever got fat, he'd divorce her." Just like that. I can't imagine that someone in my parents or grandparents generation would think like that, although I'm sure some marriages were based on looks and not much else.
    Irony of the story: they got married, and HE was the one who got fat. And yes they're still married.

Catherine, I am also a freelancer and need to stay "relevant" (i.e. young looking) in the looks department. I dye my hair. I hate doing it, but I also hate the look of my grey roots, so there's no way I'm going grey until I absolutely have to, i.e. the "mutton dressed as lamb" stage. At that point, I'll probably go to a salon and get them to turn my hair completely white! I like what your stylist did...it sounds great.

I think any job in marketing, especially one working with big pharma, is more demanding on the "slick looks" requirement. Your region also plays a big role in it. I never saw more grey-headed, young-looking women in my life than I did in Bellingham, Washington. But in Boca Raton, FL, and Las Vegas, I see virtually none of it. Dallas and Houston have a rep for being big on blonde and lots of highlights, and in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where I grew up, it was much more crunchy-granola.

Anyway, good luck on the hair problem! I wish I could see an honest-to-God colorist, but we are on a very tight budget and so it's my two boxes of Revlon Color Silk for me!

I'm 42 with some white hairs here and there--mostly still brunette. But I am an attorney, where a little grey can make me seem more experienced. Then again, too much is not ideal either, especially in South Florida, ike Selah said (unless it's all silver and shining and lustrous--that's my goal).

I have a Florida bar conference next week. So I decided today to buy a little coloring marker for my "canas" as we call them in Spanish (white hairs). I tried it out and it works just fine. I don't want to color with permanent hair dye. I just want to get through the conference without these canas sticking out. So I'll mark them up with my hair marker! Tried it out today--just enough, and it washes out. Perfect.

And not to change the subject or up the ante, but I'll also be getting some (free) botox before I go, too. I do it about twice a year--DH brings it home from work. Very South Florida of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Irony of the story: they got married, and HE was the one who got fat. And yes they're still married.
    That's probably a more common occurrence than we would think!

Selah, I did the box thing for a long time, but I found a really good hairdresser in a cheap chain salon, so at this point, I'd rather go longer between cuts/color and just turn things over to her. PLUS, she told me that she's starting her own salon that will be even cheaper!

TVRodriguez, you did up the ante--Botox! A whole other thread.. Never have done it. I wonder if I would if it were free....
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm 56 and have gray strands, more and more it seems. Natural color is a darker brown, However, the color isn't as rich as it used to be. I get low-lights every 4 months or so - helps enrich the color and covers some of the gray. I think it looks more natural than when I'd get full-on color before.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information