Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey passes law regarding rescue animals

New Jersey passes law regarding rescue animals

I'm curious to know what the opinion is here..On this forum we have dog lovers, Republicans, Democrats, and I'm wondering where the common ground is here.

My great state of New Jersey supposedly has a bill that requires all new pet stores to sell dogs only from rescue or shelter organizations.

https://www.minds.com/blog/view/600070128012369929

I'll be honest.. I'm a huge dog lover (my scruffy ragamuffin "who-knows-what" dog is a rescue dog) and I have very strong Democratic leanings, but this bill seems a little bit over the line in terms of government interference in a free market. I am against puppy mills, but still...

Any opinions here?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wrong pressure point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Wrong pressure point.
    What do you mean?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I mean that they want to address the puppy mill issue, but they are not applying legislation to puppy mills, they are applying legislation to pet stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    I mean that they want to address the puppy mill issue, but they are not applying legislation to puppy mills, they are applying legislation to pet stores.
    Right. Got it. My guess is the problem of legislating activities that are outside of NJ legislature. For some reason, ALL rescue dogs sold in NJ seem to be from North or South Carolina. NJ can't legislate that. So the State can only pass laws to prevent those NC/SC dogs from being a viable market in NJ.

I loath puppy mills. And I think most pet stores have no business selling dogs and cats.

I also have worked in animal rescue, and members of my family still do. The rescue industry isn't spotless either.

I don't think this bill is particularly wise or appropriate.

I could write a lot but will not. We are due to pick up two puppy mill females probably tomorrow. But anyway--

I have to be philosophically consistent, and as such I do not support more gubmnt intervention in the commerce of pet production and sales.

How "rescue" organizatins are defined is a whole other topic. Like a puppy mill, you THINK you will recognize it if you see it. But you will not. We had to kick out a senior citizen couple from Bulldog Club of America who had been running a pretty little "rescue " money making operation. They are no longer sanctioned but that does not stop them from grabbing dogs and selling them for profit.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Right. Got it. My guess is the problem of legislating activities that are outside of NJ legislature. For some reason, ALL rescue dogs sold in NJ seem to be from North or South Carolina. NJ can't legislate that. So the State can only pass laws to prevent those NC/SC dogs from being a viable market in NJ.
    As a resident of the biggest puppy mill state in the natin I guarantee that some of yours come from us.

Years ago I made friends with a woman in New York (near you) who bought her puppy at a pet store, then learned the puppy's mother was due to be euthanized soon since she couldnt producem more puppies. Ths woman put a plea out on one of the bulldog chat lists amd we succumbed. We drove down into puppy mill country and picked up the dog.. i think we might have paid a nominal fee of a couple hundred bucks, cant remember.

ThIs dog was a sweet little dog but was never one of my favorites.

Pet stores only sell puppymill dogs since no reputable breeder will sell to a pet store. This is a great way to stop the mills from making $. We really should just shut them (the mills) all down nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Pet stores only sell puppymill dogs since no reputable breeder will sell to a pet store. This is a great way to stop the mills from making $. We really should just shut them (the mills) all down nationwide.
    How would you define a puppy mill so that you could shit them down?

Thread Information