Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite things to cook in an Istant Pot

Bump, in reference to a semi-bunnytrail on a recent thread.

I'm not very good at using recipes, but Urvashi Pitre has a couple of very well-received cookbooks available: Instant Pot Fast and Easy and Indian Instant Pot Cookbook.

So, looking at the "Instant Pot DUO Plus 60", and living on my own most of the time, is the 3 quart or the 6 quart the way to go? The 3 quart seems to be 2" smaller in every dimension.

I do entertain, but I suspect when entertaining I wouldn't use the Instant Pot for most of the things I make here, except perhaps rice. I rarely cook more than 2-3 cups of dry rice at a time anyways, unless I am having a lot of people over to make sushi or something.

Further question on rice cooking - I am currently using an older Zojirushi "fuzzy logic" rice cooker. It is no fuss - you rinse the rice, put it and water in, hit the button, it comes out perfectly every time, and you don't have to fiddle with times/ratios/whatnot.

Does the Instant Pot require fussing around for basic short, medium, and long-grain white rices?

I don't cook rice often, so I haven't experimented much. (I'd hang on to the Zojirushi for awhile; good brand.) The following instructions for rice suggest that the only adjustments you really have to make are in minutes, once you arrive at your preferred rice to water ratio.
    https://instantpot.com/how-to-cook-p...essure-cooker/

I have a six quart and a three quart. I'd get the six quart to start with, to accommodate larger cuts of meat, volumes of bone broth and soup, and larger dessert pans (for cheesecake and custards, etc.) I'd probably also get a duo or newer model (and, in fact, I did).

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Further question on rice cooking - I am currently using an older Zojirushi "fuzzy logic" rice cooker. It is no fuss - you rinse the rice, put it and water in, hit the button, it comes out perfectly every time, and you don't have to fiddle with times/ratios/whatnot.

Does the Instant Pot require fussing around for basic short, medium, and long-grain white rices?
    I dont know, but do not get rid of your fuzzy logic rice cooker. I had one of those until it broke. I never figured out how it knew how to cook any kind of rice perfectly! brilliant, it was!

Now I have a rice cooker that is stupid, it requires me to punch “white rice”or “brown rice” buttons and I dont know if basmati rice is white or brown, so it varies and I can never remember which setting is best, but I think the cooker likes Brown rice for basmati.

also, you are asking general questions about instapots when probably the machnes vary a lot. Mine is likely a cheap one although I think I looked it ip on the web and it retails for around $100.

Some of the new Instant Pots (R) are very high-tech, can be programmed remotely, etc.
    I can't see needing that feature now or in the future.

I would get the 6 quart. When cooking vegetables, they tend to shrink. Also, the Instant Pot inset has a line that you should not fill above. If you use it for steaming, you'll need to have the food above the water level with the insert and you lose even more space.

Quote Originally Posted by messengerhot View Post
    You could use these recipes from http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2...t-recipes.html ... there are 21 of em on the site.. Classic Beef stew is the best!
    It's great, thanks for your suggestion!

I love mine! Just bought it a few weeks ago. I was waiting to see if it was just a gadget that would fade away. LOL
    Could just kick myself for waiting. For example- the BEST hardboiled eggs I have ever made were cooked in the Instant Pot.
    I live alone and it has saved me lots of grocery expenses. Can make one delicious meal that lasts 3 days.

Thread Information