Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite things to cook in an Istant Pot

I currently have garbanzo beans cooking in mine--from dried, which I haven't tried before. I'm going to make an Indian garbanzo-cauliflower dish later. http://www.thewholesomefork.com/2016...a-curry-vegan/

To paraphrase Charlton Heston "They'll get my Instant Pot when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."

I got an IP from an incentive program at work about a year ago. Never used it. Just opened it and did the water test. I have chicken and pork chops in my freezer. Have to look up recipes. Mine is a 6qt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I got an IP from an incentive program at work about a year ago. Never used it. Just opened it and did the water test. I have chicken and pork chops in my freezer. Have to look up recipes. Mine is a 6qt.
    I suspect you'll be hooked. They are so versatile and hands-free. If you like hard-cooked eggs, they're a revelation. I cook mine for 2 minutes with a couple more minutes' cool down, but you'll find everyone has their own "recipe." Six-quart is a good size.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I suspect you'll be hooked. They are so versatile and hands-free. If you like hard-cooked eggs, they're a revelation. I cook mine for 2 minutes with a couple more minutes' cool down, but you'll find everyone has their own "recipe." Six-quart is a good size.
    I never even considered hard boiled eggs! I like HB egg sandwiches, so that's definitely something I'll look for!

As my culinary horizons have expanded lately, I've found to my delight that pasta cooks perfectly in my IP--without having to bring a huge vat of water to a boil. Just add pasta and water to cover, set to whatever time the package says, and walk away. I've cooked everything from angel hair to rotini. Did I mention I love this thing?

I'm making chicken noodle soup in my IP tonight.

OMG, soup came out wonderful! I just wanted a soup like I used to make - chicken, carrots, celery, onion, egg noodles, water, salt, and pepper. I looked at a bunch of recipes and then just sort of winged it. I even used frozen chicken breasts (partially thawed in fridge), and it didn't matter. Here's what I did:

8 cups of water
    2 large chicken breasts
    1 Vidalia onion, chopped
    1 8 oz bag baby carrots
    2 stalks of celery
    1/2 bag of egg noodles

Pressure cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Let naturally release for 10 minutes, the quick release the rest of the pressure. Remove chicken. Switch to sauté mode for 8-10 minutes. Add noodles and salt and pepper to taste. Shred chicken. When noodles are cooked to as you like them, add the chicken back into the soup.

2 large chicken breasts might have been a bit much, as this is very meaty. One would have been sufficient.

Your soup sounds wonderful! Chicken soup is one of my favorites, a standard around here.
    I suspect this is the beginning of something...

I actually don’t like using chicken broth as a base. I see no reason for it. My soup has always turned out fine without it, plus it’s cheaper.

I usually use some kind of stock. Stock/bone broth can be made in the IP in about two hours--a big time saving over the hours and hours it takes on the stovetop.

Thread Information