Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bbc reporting attemped military coup in Turke

Bbc reporting attemped military coup in Turke

More bad bews from the Muslim world

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36809083

Yes. It's being covered on CNN as well. The military is purporting to do it to protect democracy.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The Turkish military has a long history of pressing the reset button when the government becomes too unsecular.

I have to admit, with little to go on, I'm rooting for the military here. I hope they show some restraint vis-a-vis using force, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I have to admit, with little to go on, I'm rooting for the military here. I hope they show some restraint vis-a-vis using force, though.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemalism

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The Turkish military has a long history of pressing the reset button when the government becomes too unsecular.
    Yep. I've actually been expecting this, or something similar. My brother is stationed in Turkey, and I've been following events for the past several years--the elected president and prime minister have been pushing the religious agenda quite a bit--no more belly dancers on tv, for example, more women have been wearing head scarves, even though no head covering/veil is expected of women in Turkey. Rumors of election fixing so they remain in office. Slowly pushing the religious agenda of one small group on to the entire country.

Well, looks like the coup was unsuccessful, although still a little early to say what effect this all has had.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Well, looks like the coup was unsuccessful, although still a little early to say what effect this all has had.
    Unfortunately it usually gives the folks in charge the impetus to push further in the direction that caused the coup in the first place. And an opportunity to clean up any dissenters in their ranks.

Too bad. Sounds like they had a solid constitution until this clown was elected. I'm sure he'll become even more of a tyrant now.

It depends on how he handles the opposition to his program. If he clamps down even further, he will alienate people even more and like a kettle, it will blow up with building pressure. It is the timing that is hard to analyze.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information