Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Live where you want and you never have to go on a "vacation"?

Bed and breakfast have never appealed to me. I was in one in my lifetime.

It feels like staying in a strangers home, being watched and judged, forced to be friendly with a stranger, no sense of privacy, and I can't wait to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Bed and breakfast have never appealed to me. I was in one in my lifetime.

It feels like staying in a strangers home, being watched and judged, forced to be friendly with a stranger, no sense of privacy, and I can't wait to leave.
    That would be my take on it--the B and B experience must have been designed by and for flaming extroverts. My SO would probably love to stay in one; he'd have to stay alone.

I find them fascinating and love seeing inside the houses. We have even planned routes to stop and several while traveling somewhere. Also stayed in one in London. Husband does not like the lack of personality of hotels. He likes to meet the owners or managers. Even stayed in a big Victorian one having a Victorian Christmas weekend. Way too much great food, ornaments to make, music and a play in the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I find them fascinating and love seeing inside the houses. We have even planned routes to stop and several while traveling somewhere. Also stayed in one in London. Husband does not like the lack of personality of hotels. He likes to meet the owners or managers. Even stayed in a big Victorian one having a Victorian Christmas weekend. Way too much great food, ornaments to make, music and a play in the living room.
    I dream of retiring to a hotel; I'll supply the personality.

B and B is my idea of hell.

B and B...Twice. I am just NOT comfortable. I don't even like to stay in my sister's house- would prefer a hotel or time share or VRBO. I like space and alone-ness. I don't like to vacation with anyone except my husband, either.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    B and B...Twice. I am just NOT comfortable. I don't even like to stay in my sister's house- would prefer a hotel or time share or VRBO. I like space and alone-ness. I don't like to vacation with anyone except my husband, either.
    I've had great B and B experiences, best when on my own. When with my husband, small inns are my preference. But we are usually traveling with dogs, so it's whatever takes dogs, and best takes on a whole new meaning--where can I walk them easily, can I be on the first floor, etc.

I love B&B's / DH hates them. And he also agrees with nswef--he'll do anything to avoid staying overnight at a friend or relative's home. When we get invited, I usually have to say "Oh, I have a lot of frequent-stayer hotel points, so we'll just use them and not put you out." My SIL is the only person I get a negative vibe from when we do that. She's so friendly, I don't think she gets it and is mildly insulted.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I dream of retiring to a hotel; I'll supply the personality.
    This is hilarious, good one!

I used to stay in B and B establishments in my many trips to the U.K. That is a land of small and very small innkeepers. I stayed in them because hotels are damned expensive and I didnt have a lot of money.

But when B and B's opened up here in the U.S. they had a different intent. They were fancy. They were always more expensive than the ones in the U.K. I rolled my eyes at the "everything must be bigger and better in the States" idea.
    Our friends run B and B's and their houses are big, old, elaborate, and their breakfasts are big and elaborate.

I like B and B's in the U.S. for the architecture. i will stay in one if the house is way cool and its location is good.I dont care about breakfast, and I do not want to be friendly with hosts or other guests. But I prefer the anonymity of hotels.

Now, Air B n B offers a different product from traditional B and B Inns.Rooms can be bare bones, simple, and inexpensive. Back in the days when I was frugal, these accommodations would have been my choice, probably. Presumably the digs would be more interesting than cheap motels..

But now that I am old and rich, I have no interest in lining up an Air B n B place when I go to Europe.. I want an old hotel with cool architecture (I am always about the architcture! ) in a central location. But I have no interest in coordinating arrival times with hosts, in trying to find someone's house in a foreign country, and lining up entry procedures/keys, etc. I do not mind sharing a bathroom, however.

All in all, in Europe, a small high end hotel is the best choice for me.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-25-17 at 1:17pm.

Thread Information