Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Live where you want and you never have to go on a "vacation"?

Bae, your corner of the world is so extraordinarily beautiful which would fulfil my dreams of water activities ad infinitum but requires too much maintenance for me at this point in my life; plus it is out of my price range.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    I think a lot of people fantasize about "going back home" where they grew up.
    There is a big problem with that IMHE. So much of what people fantasize about, involves people. People retire, die, move on, close businesses, etc. I grew up in the area I live now. There are reasons I always wanted to get away, and there are reasons I always though I would end up in the house I am in. The area has certainly diminished, and now people are currently buying, thinking they are getting the houses cheap, and over improving for the area. (can't get what they are asking, not realistic) All while I see lots of places that bring back both my memories, and memories told to me by people who lived here before (including the neighbor that lived in three centuries).
    However, the city basically sees the area as in parts, historic, in part, crime ridden, and in part, worthless, as they push for investments/tiff projects, etc, further east.

Any thoughts? What makes your home, not just your house, but your location, one that makes you not feel such a need to "get away"? By "get away", I mean traveling several hours or more.

We bought our 1850sq home in early 1991. It's perfect for us. We've done work over time. No grass. Food and perennials with some annuals thrown in every year. Front rock patio w/2 chairs for sitting. Large back patio with our grill, table/chairs for outside dining and relaxing. I have my quilt studio all set up (murphy bed for the occasional guest). Hubby has his wood shop. So we both have our happy hobby place.
    We spent the $ for a gas line/gas stove 2y ago. LOVE it. Great for canning and simmering. So much better than electric.

We're on the outskirts of a moderately sized city. Enough arts for us. Lots of trails for walking, hiking, biking.

i love a staycation. I LOVE to cook but don't enjoy it after long exhausting workdays). When I'm off work, I cook up a storm. A weekend is lovely too.

We have a small cabin up north in the mountains. 2h 20m door to door. A WORLD apart. We vacation there every winter and any long weekend we can arrange wtih work. This is where we downhill ski. Although many think it's an extremely expensive sport, we do not. Equipment lasts a long time and we do not require current state of the art. My snowsuit is nearly 25y old and serves me well and I don't care that others no longer wear the 1 piec. I'm warm and dry. My skis and boots are approaching 10 and work just fine.

We have everything we need for a long life of joy and contentment as long as we are healthy for our age. (single leve homes that have been improved for old age as my parents were older so we fixed things for their ease when fixing was needed).

I thought of something else that I wonder how much it plays a part. When Spartana was an active member, we once discussed the idea that some people spent more time traveling then others, so that bug was caught. I myself have been very limited on travel, so "vacations" have been a thing that the last time I had one, I either wasn't yet, or had just become a teenager.

I think it's important to like where you live and that where you live (location, type of housing, etc.) rewards your values. But I like to see different things/lifestyles/geographies way too much to be happy just settling down in one spot. OTOH it makes perfect sense to me to skimp on how grand the house might be, etc., to have the money to go see those far-flung places.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I never seem to get over how much beauty surrounds me here. I'm sure my SO (from somewhere else) gets tired of hearing me burble on about it every time we go for a drive. I'm not much of a traveler, so I'm content to stay put.

I have lived in many places and where I live now is my favorite. However, I am like Steve and enjoy traveling and experiencing new cultures, etc.

I love where I live and am not going on vacation this year (though I will be exploring within 100 miles or so.) I will probably get the travel bug again, but if I need to stay home, it is not a bad thing.
    I moved to Oregon from San Francisco, and just having 4 seasons feels almost the same as traveling. I forgot how lovely the changes in nature can be. And because it is both a university and tourist town, the population changes along with the seasons.
    I really like my house; it is easy to care for, has tons of natural light, it's quiet, and it has beautiful views. I'm still working on arranging everything just so, and enjoy the puttering about. I think the house can make almost as big a difference as the town - if you live in a house that's too small or too big or just run down or dark - I think you'd want to get away. My house is also in a great location for biking or walking to all the great things on offer in town.

My previous home - I loved it because I had wonderful neighbors and a history there, but there was nothing about the place itself that was special. I needed to get away several times a year; the congestion and noise and busy-ness of the place drove me nuts.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Beautiful! Where is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I love where I live and am not going on vacation this year (though I will be exploring within 100 miles or so.) I will probably get the travel bug again, but if I need to stay home, it is not a bad thing.
    I moved to Oregon from San Francisco, and just having 4 seasons feels almost the same as traveling. I forgot how lovely the changes in nature can be. And because it is both a university and tourist town, the population changes along with the seasons.
    I really like my house; it is easy to care for, has tons of natural light, it's quiet, and it has beautiful views. I'm still working on arranging everything just so, and enjoy the puttering about. I think the house can make almost as big a difference as the town - if you live in a house that's too small or too big or just run down or dark - I think you'd want to get away. My house is also in a great location for biking or walking to all the great things on offer in town.
    My previous home - I loved it because I had wonderful neighbors and a history there, but there was nothing about the place itself that was special. I needed to get away several times a year; the congestion and noise and busy-ness of the place drove me nuts.
    Your comment about the 4 seasons is great!!! Loved it, so true! Very good point about the house too, making almost as much difference as the town. At least for some people this is true. I spoke to someone recently who is very drawn to Oregon and is thinking about moving there.

Thread Information