Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Live where you want and you never have to go on a "vacation"?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I thought of something else that I wonder how much it plays a part. When Spartana was an active member, we once discussed the idea that some people spent more time traveling then others, so that bug was caught. I myself have been very limited on travel, so "vacations" have been a thing that the last time I had one, I either wasn't yet, or had just become a teenager.
    I also think that your travel desires can conceivably change when you get older. To me, I liked the idea of traveling while young and unattached. I find it much more cumbersome to travel with others. It also helps to be younger and more fit! I have seen some people really cut down on the travel as they get older, and others who do the opposite, traveling a lot after they retire and have the time and resources to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The only thng I miss about "home" is the wonderful rich black Iowa soil. That could grow some serious lilies for me.

Otherwise, I found my "home" in urban St. Louis. So, I will put up with the clay soil to have everythng else I like.

and I agree with the OP that close by getaways are good in that for me, they are vacations for the mind. I have to make myself go see somethng different, new, and intetesting and that always helps my mental health. But it doesnt have to be far away.
    Interesting point about missing the soil from a place. Also like your comment about going and seeing something different as being good for mental health. Meeting new people is part of that for me. Like you said, doesn't have to be far away; for me it is just going next door or taking a walk close by.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Any thoughts? What makes your home, not just your house, but your location, one that makes you not feel such a need to "get away"? By "get away", I mean traveling several hours or more.

We bought our 1850sq home in early 1991. It's perfect for us. We've done work over time. No grass. Food and perennials with some annuals thrown in every year. Front rock patio w/2 chairs for sitting. Large back patio with our grill, table/chairs for outside dining and relaxing. I have my quilt studio all set up (murphy bed for the occasional guest). Hubby has his wood shop. So we both have our happy hobby place.
    We spent the $ for a gas line/gas stove 2y ago. LOVE it. Great for canning and simmering. So much better than electric.

We're on the outskirts of a moderately sized city. Enough arts for us. Lots of trails for walking, hiking, biking.

i love a staycation. I LOVE to cook but don't enjoy it after long exhausting workdays). When I'm off work, I cook up a storm. A weekend is lovely too.

We have a small cabin up north in the mountains. 2h 20m door to door. A WORLD apart. We vacation there every winter and any long weekend we can arrange wtih work. This is where we downhill ski. Although many think it's an extremely expensive sport, we do not. Equipment lasts a long time and we do not require current state of the art. My snowsuit is nearly 25y old and serves me well and I don't care that others no longer wear the 1 piec. I'm warm and dry. My skis and boots are approaching 10 and work just fine.

We have everything we need for a long life of joy and contentment as long as we are healthy for our age. (single leve homes that have been improved for old age as my parents were older so we fixed things for their ease when fixing was needed).
    We have thought about purchasing a second home, but all the experts say it is a bad idea. I know of one now, an older small home on 7 acres, set way back from the road, that we could fix up gradually. Cost? $30,000. It is about 5 hours north of us, taxes are like $500 a year.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I never seem to get over how much beauty surrounds me here. I'm sure my SO (from somewhere else) gets tired of hearing me burble on about it every time we go for a drive. I'm not much of a traveler, so I'm content to stay put.
    Your post is a direct answer to my original question! If you never get over the beauty, that counts for a lot, at least for some people, and makes them content with their situation. Others might be ok with having their home base in an ugly place but they can travel all the time which is what they want.

Like Gardenarian and JaneV2, I feel very fortunate to live in the Pac NW. From my home-- which we rarely leave for more than 4-5 days at a time-- we can drive to the beach, the mountains, high desert, woods or forests within minutes to a few hours. We can bicycle to local trails most months of the year.

I have flower and veggie gardens, a nearby trail meandering through wetlands and woods to walk all year round. We have a local outdoor farmers market we enjoy every Saturday March through October. I guess that's all the culture we require! ;-)

I always tell people who ask if I'm going on a summer vacation, "Why would I? This is the best place to be in summer!" I think all that summer vacation stuff comes from having kids out of school. If I get tired of the relentless rain by February I'll go visit my DD in Texas, but otherwise I'm content to be home.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

We also live in a mild 4 seasons and a beautiful part of the country close to most things. I love to visit SF but can't imagine living there. I also love the house we are in. We totally redid it before moving in 4 years ago and this summer finished the back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We also live in a mild 4 seasons and a beautiful part of the country close to most things. I love to visit SF but can't imagine living there. I also love the house we are in. We totally redid it before moving in 4 years ago and this summer finished the back yard.
    Mild 4 seasons sounds nice, A lot of people like that. Yes, a lot of people would never consider living where we do. But, to each his own! And I am a country girl!

I hate heat and so summer is my least favorite season. But I have friends that retired to florida because they love the heat year round. If we were all the same it would be boring)

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Like Gardenarian and JaneV2, I feel very fortunate to live in the Pac NW. From my home-- which we rarely leave for more than 4-5 days at a time-- we can drive to the beach, the mountains, high desert, woods or forests within minutes to a few hours. We can bicycle to local trails most months of the year.

I have flower and veggie gardens, a nearby trail meandering through wetlands and woods to walk all year round. We have a local outdoor farmers market we enjoy every Saturday March through October. I guess that's all the culture we require! ;-)

I always tell people who ask if I'm going on a summer vacation, "Why would I? This is the best place to be in summer!" I think all that summer vacation stuff comes from having kids out of school. If I get tired of the relentless rain by February I'll go visit my DD in Texas, but otherwise I'm content to be home.
    Good post KayLR, exactly what I am talking about! One thing I have noticed, is that some people seem to think that persons who love their surroundings and their home so much that they prefer to stay there most of the time and travel long distances seldom, are somehow to be pitied or looked down upon. But if you live in the closest thing to your own paradise, why would you feel a great desire to leave it, most of the time? If you are satisfied with your life in your location, it feels SO good to be home after a trip, as nice as trips are! But then, I just got home and am already thinking about the next cross-country trip, so see family who live in another great location that is different from ours.

I have a few friends that just don't like to travel. I don't pity people that don't want to travel.

Thread Information