Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Live where you want and you never have to go on a "vacation"?

I do enjoy the drives...especially when I am not driving. We have a pleasant time,most of the time. I don't like cities and traveling in cities is stressful for me. Maybe the drive through Georgia was better than the events in Florida.

I just revisited this post and reread my post on I love my Lower MI. I am faced with the luxury of a weekend BnB in KY today. I made the reservations three months ago. Sounded so fun to me at the time....that was SO three months ago now! 6 hours in the car each way, a bed that I will not sleep in. It is hard to see the fun now

And we love our northern MI. Every weekend we drive out and do something fun, surrounded by incredible natural beauty. Last weekend we picked up apples from the abandoned roadside trees and are eating pie for the last few days.

Best of all, the vacationers have gone home, for the most part.

Oh heck, you guys, are making me just a wee bit homesick for Michigan! Though yesterday there was finally a crisp fall note in the air here in NM. I have heard that a drive through the Santa Fe National Forest is a great antidote to that though, so I should be able to see fall colors not too far from here.

I know, Michigan is a beautiful state, and so is New Mexico, which I have heard is also gorgeous in the fall, as you approach pepper roasting season, right? (My brother lives there, so I've heard such wonderful things about it.)

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    Oh heck, you guys, are making me just a wee bit homesick for Michigan! Though yesterday there was finally a crisp fall note in the air here in NM. I have heard that a drive through the Santa Fe National Forest is a great antidote to that though, so I should be able to see fall colors not too far from here.
    I was thinking about you just the other day, SiouzQ, because I was rereading Beyond Civilization by Daniel Quinn (author of the Ishmael books), and he was talking about his "tribe" experiences in Madrid! He and his wife lived there for a couple of years. Here's some of what he had to say about the culture:

[From the chapter on Standards of living]

"Anthropologist Marshall Sahlins has written: 'The world's more primitive people have few possessions, but they are not poor. Poverty is not a certain small amount of goods, nor is it just a relation between means and ends; above all it is a relation between people. Poverty is a social status. As such it is the invention of civilization.'

"My wife, Rennie, and I learned this great truth for ourselves during the 1980s, in the seven years we spend in Madrid, a mountain village in central New Mexico. Eking out a living on a small inheritance, I was at work on the book that would someday become Ishmael. During this time we were poor by ordinary standards but just ordinary by Madrid standards. In Madrid at this time everyone was poor--and so no one was poor. The average Madrid household income was probably around three thousand dollars--vastly blow the national poverty level--but there were no poor people in Madrid. No one gloried in being poor or in living 'simply.' All gloried in their independence, in their ingenuity, in their acquisition of needed skills, and above all in doing what they wanted to do.

"Visitors to Madrid (doubtless like visitors to circus back lots) probably had the impression that it was a sort of 'depressed area.' In fact, I've never lived in an area that was less depressed!"

Thought you might enjoy that, SiouzQ!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I was thinking about you just the other day, SiouzQ, because I was rereading Beyond Civilization by Daniel Quinn (author of the Ishmael books), and he was talking about his "tribe" experiences in Madrid! He and his wife lived there for a couple of years. Here's some of what he had to say about the culture:

[From the chapter on Standards of living]

"Anthropologist Marshall Sahlins has written: 'The world's more primitive people have few possessions, but they are not poor. Poverty is not a certain small amount of goods, nor is it just a relation between means and ends; above all it is a relation between people. Poverty is a social status. As such it is the invention of civilization.'

"My wife, Rennie, and I learned this great truth for ourselves during the 1980s, in the seven years we spend in Madrid, a mountain village in central New Mexico. Eking out a living on a small inheritance, I was at work on the book that would someday become Ishmael. During this time we were poor by ordinary standards but just ordinary by Madrid standards. In Madrid at this time everyone was poor--and so no one was poor. The average Madrid household income was probably around three thousand dollars--vastly blow the national poverty level--but there were no poor people in Madrid. No one gloried in being poor or in living 'simply.' All gloried in their independence, in their ingenuity, in their acquisition of needed skills, and above all in doing what they wanted to do.

"Visitors to Madrid (doubtless like visitors to circus back lots) probably had the impression that it was a sort of 'depressed area.' In fact, I've never lived in an area that was less depressed!"

Thought you might enjoy that, SiouzQ!
    To put another persoective on this lack of poverty in that part of the world, it was always Northern New Mexico that produced cases of the bubonic plague for the United States.
    I lived in NM in the '80s.

I would like to live somewhere really beautiful, but those places seem either way too expensive or without many jobs. Sometimes both! So we live somewhere that is not ugly, where the cost of living is fairly low, and with one low-ish paid job with good benefits (gov't) and one SDI, we can pay the bills and take short vacations, and sometimes save up for larger ones. I would love to go to Scotland/British Isles, I was in London for several days, but I want to see the countryside, and the places in Scotland our ancestors left to come here. I have German ancestors also - loads of them, well documented, but somehow Germany does not call to me in the same way. When we visit somewhere lovely, I always think "I want to live HERE" - but I have never actually contemplated moving for better scenery. Honestly, I don't think that would keep me from wanting to visit other places in any way. I like traveling (although it's intimidating!) and when we drive, at least, I do think the trip is part of the fun. We prefer the byways to the highways, when possible, especially when staying within a few days drive. But I like to drive, so I'm sure that makes a big difference! I like to fly, too, but am always afraid we're going to miss the plane, miss a connection, etc. We never have, but I find that stressful. So while I'd like to live somewhere stunning - and some of you live in places I would just LOVE to visit - I honestly don't think it would squelch the travel bug totally!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    And we love our northern MI. Every weekend we drive out and do something fun, surrounded by incredible natural beauty. Last weekend we picked up apples from the abandoned roadside trees and are eating pie for the last few days.

Best of all, the vacationers have gone home, for the most part.
    Yep we were the Trolls from under the Bridge for 17 ish years. Then we became year rounders Up There for a short time. I know what you mean by the vacationers have all gone home. When we look back at those years now we think of something a "local" said to us towards the end. You only come up north to work. Meaning cut grass, do house maintaining, shop, open and close. Gosh he was right!

Son lived in TC for a year he called the vacationers Fudgies

Quote Originally Posted by ctg492 View Post
    I just revisited this post and reread my post on I love my Lower MI. I am faced with the luxury of a weekend BnB in KY today. I made the reservations three months ago. Sounded so fun to me at the time....that was SO three months ago now! 6 hours in the car each way, a bed that I will not sleep in. It is hard to see the fun now
    SO we went. I had never been to BnB. Lovely farm home. I loved the Alpacas and goats. It was so strange for us to realize we were in the home with other rooms of strangers, the door to home was unlocked. These are things we would never do in our own home, let strangers in and not lock. Then the fact that it was a home and to get up when no sleep and go to living room seemed strange and did not want to wake anyone else. A lovely berry bunkle was waiting when we got home from dinner. I took one to be polite, but I don't think many did. Then breakfast a yummy breakfast, but I don't eat at 6:30am so I again felt rude. Even though it was bought and paid for and the owner said don't worry it all goes to the chickens and others on farm.

I asked if she had any problems in the years open. No she said as it is not the kind of place that brings problem people.

Over all would I do a BnB again? Not to sure, pricey for sure. Heard everything at night. Glad we went but so glad to be home!

Thread Information