Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Debit card blocking and fraud

Maybe running it as cc means I don't enter a PIN - which means a skimmer wouldn't get my PIN. So people thought that would avoid fraud?

Never mind - I see the advantage ... Ignore the part below ....

(But then the skimmer could run it as a credit card too - so I still don't see the reason for it being thought of as safer.)

So ... Do you all run your debit cards as cc to limit your personal liability?

Yes, without your PIN if they get the card # they can still use it as a credit card either by making a duplicate card or for a card not present transaction (online). Normally the skimmer doesn't get the PIN, they have to use a tiny camera. Even though I only ever use my debit card at the bank's ATM, usually the one inside the bank, I hold my wallet over my hand when putting in the PIN, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I've heard that if one runs the debit card as a credit purchase it lessens the risk. Any truth to that?
    It will depend on the risk. Response below is a good one. But there is also the benefit, that effect risk with things like warranty doubling (when run through the credit system).

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    No. All that does is increase the fees the merchant has to pay for the transaction and delays the speed with which it posts to your account by up to a couple of days instead of being instantaneous.

Whether you are protected for fraudulent charges is dependent on how the crook uses the card, not how you used it. If they use it as a debit card (they would need the PIN) then you are liable for up to $50 if you catch it within 2 days, but up to $500 if you catch it between 3 and 60 days. With a credit card, on the other hand, you are never responsible for more than $50 of fraudulent charges.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...nd-debit-cards
    Of course your bank/credit union can have a different policy that limits the amount you can be liable to more, but can't go worse the the federally mandated standards.
    Credit fee's are generally 3%, while debit fee's are about half that. With cash, you can ask for a discount, but the merchant contracts I have seen, only allow a discount for cash, not checks, etc.

Unfortunately, somehow my information was acquired, and used not via card, but via smart phone (strictly electronically, and I don't have a smart phone).

I was scammed for $200 by people using a pop up ad on the internet that my computer had a virus and to call a number to get it fixed. I supplied them with my credit card number thinking they were legitimate! They were trying to get more numbers for their "customer service" when I simply hung up. I was so confused, it took me a couple of days to have the bank block my credit card account and order a credit card with new numbers. This is an on-going drama where it is not entirely clear whether they got enough information to get more money from me. Suffice it to say, I have learned to ignore any unsolicited ad on the web and not to call a company which I not heard of before. Anyway, I will get most of the money back and an important learning experience. bicyclist

Thread Information