Page 59 of 79 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: My Diving Experiences

Got the replacement sidemount rig in the water today. I’m really glad the other one got stolen! The new one dives wonderfully! Makes a big difference.

Congrats, Tradd! Glad it worked out so well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Did insurance cover your loss? At any rate, this was another example of things turning out much better than could be expected.

Happy dives!

Stolen SM was bought used online. I had no proof of purchase. I just let it go. Did let the dive shops I deal with know and put out a message on dive club’s FB group.

You all are not going to believe this. I was asked over the weekend by my diving instructor if I would consider opening a dive shop in Manitowoc, WI.

A new NOAA National marine sanctuary has just been established - the Wisconsin Shipwreck Coast NMS, that focuses on the shipwrecks in the area. It goes from Port Washington up to north of Two Rivers (to the Manitowoc County northern boundary. There is ONE part time dive shop in the area. Very part time because the owner is out running dive charters from May through September on the Great Lakes or he’s away doing rebreather training. There was a 3-4 year old dive shop in Port Washington that closed last year due to covid. If the area is going to attract divers, there needs to be a dive shop.

There was a dive shop in Manitowoc, but it closed a few years back. Someone has been sort of keeping it partly open, mainly to fill tanks on summer weekends. That person turned down doing it full time as he has a thriving family business doing commercial diving. The closest dive shop is in Green Bay, which is 45 minutes from Manitowoc. Otherwise, you have to drive down to Milwaukee.

I told instructor I was flattered, but I was going to have to turn her down. I can’t see a full time dive shop surviving up there. Diving season is May through September/October. I can see someone having a shop open Friday through Sunday during the diving season for tank fills, perhaps some rental equipment, and some small odds and ends. If I had a full time remote job, that might be different, but I don’t. I wouldn’t get to dive much, keeping a dive shop open during the summer.

I’m also not an instructor, don’t do equipment repair, and I’m not mechanically inclined. I wouldn’t be able to troubleshoot the compressor for filling tanks. It would be a huge financial risk. I have to think about my retirement. I’m 52 and I’ve worked hard to get where I am in my career. It’s just me. I don’t have a guy to lean on. It would also be hard on my body with the sciatica and knee issues, hauling tanks and such.

She told me she thought of me because I’m passionate about diving and Great Lakes shipwrecks. I’m very flattered she thought of me, but nope. Just nope. We talked at a WI underwater archaeology event at the WI Maritime Museum in Manitowoc, which is a lovely museum. Highly recommend checking it out if you’re in the area.

And someone had previously mentioned shipwreck dive slates they are available through the WI Historical Society? I picked some up at the shipwreck event on Saturday.

I see what one person dive shops go through here in the Chicago area. One guy does everything, although he does have a second instructor to help out with classes. If he goes on vacation, the shop gets shut down. Another shop, the owner has other instructors to help with classes, but it’s him in the shop. In the winter when it’s very slow, he goes next door to his brother’s plastic molding shop to help out. They’re struggling.

As you said, Tradd, that is soooo flattering!!! But I understand your not accepting. While diving is a passion for you, I think you are right with your analogy of the shop ownership duties.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

To have a successful business, you have to be passionate about running a business. A hobbyist will need to worry/work the businesses far more than the fun hobby issues. Looks like you made a careful analysis and came up with the right decision for you.

I suggested that the dive shops within an hours drive be contacted to see if they wanted to set up a fill station on weekends in the summer. That is done elsewhere on the Great Lakes. I think that would be the best bet.

Thread Information