Page 28 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: My Diving Experiences

Had first pool session for tech diving class yesterday. Was pretty good. Knew I’d have things I’d need more practice on and those are exactly the things I suspected.

Best part: I climbed out of the pool via the deep end ladder with my double tanks on! Needed a few pulls on the valve, which I need on the boat anyway. Super happy! I’ve been spending a LOT of time on the recumbent bike at the gym and my quads definitely show the results. Yay!

Another pool session in two weeks.

Good for you! That photo gives me the shivers, I can't imagine something I'd want to do Less than be trapped under water next to that. (Which only makes me even more admiring of what you do, don't get me wrong. Go Tradd!)

Tradd, you are very inspiring!! We may not all be divers, but we can learn from your passion, persistence and discipline.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Class got interrupted due to the stupid plague. Pool sessions were cancelled due to the public pool being closed. Last classroom session ended up being done online, but that was OK. Worked just fine. Our local quarry usually opens at the beginning of April. It's only opening June 1 (next Monday). I did a weekend up at a Wisconsin lake (former quarry - Wazee Lake near Black River Falls) for my class two weekends ago. There were three other students, all guys. They had all been out of the water since last fall, except maybe for some pool work. All three of them are regular open water diving instructors. We all would ordinarily been diving at one of the quarries since the beginning of April, but hadn't been able to due to the stay at home orders. It really showed in our diving. We all went away with a list of things to work on. My instructor and I have tentatively scheduled the last weekend of June for a full weekend of dives at our local quarry. Once I show I can do the skills decently, then we do two weekends at the WI quarry, as it's deeper.

I’m in the process of buying a boat. I’m very interested in diving, but I’m thinking I may just stick with snorkeling for now.

C530C491-F507-47C0-99BD-E8524AD87CEF.jpg

Went to two OH quarries late last week to dive with two divers from MI and OH who helped me practice for my class. I had switched some things with my gear so weighting had to be readjusted and now that my buoyancy is good, I can move on the practicing other things. The photo is the result of two days of very hard work. My instructor was pleased when he saw the photo (actually screen grab from video). You’re supposed to be as horizontal as possible. That small tank on my left side? You practice dropping and picking it back up without much change to your buoyancy. Much harder than it looks!

Glad you finally got to go diving, Tradd!

Well, it's been a fun run but I'm giving up diving. Let's call it "local diving politics" and leave it at that. Dive shop/dive boat owner didn't like a bit of criticism I gave on a diving forum and banned me from the local boat. Diving for me is only the way to get to see Great Lakes shipwrecks. If I can't dive the Lakes, it's not worth it. My budget will be much happier without me diving anyway. At least most of my gear will have good resale value.

Wow Tradd, I am really surprised that you are giving up something you loved so much.

Tradd, You must have been angry about the banning. I'm sorry you won't be diving so much or at all.

Thread Information