Page 24 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: My Diving Experiences

You look like a mermaid; well done.
    I'm with Iris Lily; I'll just stay here on shore...

Scares me too)

Looks like fun. I wish I could get the wife interested. We are going to key largo next week. Maybe do some snorkeling, but most likely just do the glass bottom boat ride. Maybe do a little kayaking.

This video is mostly from this year's Great Lakes diving and the associated road trips. I'll come back a bit later and update with my adventures from this year. It's been a fabulous season.

Neat video, Tradd. There is a red freighter in different parts of the video. I think that I need some more info on how the Great Lakes trip was arranged. Where do you dive from, where do you stay, what are the goals of the adventure?....
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

P
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Neat video, Tradd. There is a red freighter in different parts of the video. I think that I need some more info on how the Great Lakes trip was arranged. Where do you dive from, where do you stay, what are the goals of the adventure?....
    Hi Razz -

This wasn't one trip. Most of my diving is local on Lake Michigan. I'm only an hour from the Chicago boat, 2 hours from the Milwaukee boat. These are day trips from home.

I spent Memorial Day weekend in Port Sanilac, MI. My Chicago-based dive charter operation also has a boat on Lake Huron, halfway up Michigan's Thumb. Stayed at a local mom and pop motel.

Second weekend of June was in the Straits of Mackinac (stayed in Mackinaw City, MI). I chartered the entire boat in July of last year. Good charter ops book up quick. The captain trailers his boat over from Two Rivers, WI. We had the boat for three mornings and another group had it for the afternoon. There are several Great Lakes charter ops that have 30ft (or under) boats that are trailered to various points on the lakes during the summer months.

Third weekend of July was Tobermory, Ontario. I drove to Toledo, OH and met up with a group from a dive shop there. Then caught a ride with trip organizer to Toby. There is the Fathom Five National Marine Park. Awesome shipwrecks. We all stayed at a cottage the trip organized rented via Air BnB.

First weekend of August was Temagami, Ontario for my Intro to Technical Diving class. 1800 miles roundtrip, two days each way. Instructor is someone I connected with online and I actually know local people who have taken classes from him. Came very well recommended. I needed to work on some things before my Decompression Procedures class next year, so this was the class for it. Small steps and then put everything together. Instructor has property on a small inland lake in northern Ontario (6-7 hours east of the Soo), with water on 3 sides. There is a 1920s cottage on the property where students can stay - part of course cost, although this class was free. I did pay for tank inspections class, as did the friend who did the class with me.

The red freighter was 3 different boats. There was a Canadian Steamship Lines laker, another one I'm not sure what it was, as well as the old US Coast Guard Cutter Mackinaw, that was the heavy ice breaker on the Great Lakes from 1944 through 2005. The Mac is a museum ship in Mackinaw City, MI.

The goals? Just to see neat old wrecks. A lot of people visit historic sites or museums. Mine just happen to be underwater.
    Last edited by Tradd; 9-14-19 at 5:40am.

Thanks for the info. I have a little better understanding now. Looks like a lot of fun!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have a little better understanding now. Looks like a lot of fun!
    It was fabulous! I will do a weekend trip to Sanilac next year, but I'm primarily going to be concentrating on my advanced training, which will get me down to 150ft and allow more bottom time on shallower wrecks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    This video is mostly from this year's Great Lakes diving and the associated road trips. I'll come back a bit later and update with my adventures from this year. It's been a fabulous season.

Very cool! Please share more.

More has been shared. Lots of pics in the thread.

Thread Information