Page 27 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: My Diving Experiences

“Ottawa”

My backyard! I lived in Defiance for about 15 years before moving west.

I have some very exciting news to share. Yesterday I officially signed up for my really advanced diving class next year. Advanced Nitrox/Decompression Procedures/Helitrox combo. This will get me down to 150ft (approx 50 meters). It will also allow me to spend more time on shallow wrecks. You learn how to do staged decompression stops on the way up. Helitrox is breathing gas with 20% or less helium. The helium takes the edge off the narcosis you can get on the Great Lakes due to cold and lower visibility. I’m so excited I’m bouncing off the walls. Had a good 30 min chat with my instructor yesterday. We’ve scheduled pool time in Jan and Feb, and classroom time in Feb. I’ve got one of the three textbooks done/questions answered (had actually done them originally last winter out of sheer boredom). I’m doing a private class. Not cheap, but why not get the one on one attention?

You (and diving) have come a long way. I remember Jacques Cousteau and his clunky gear. I can't wait to see where you go next.

So exciting! I am in awe of the progress you've made!

First wreck after class.

Eerily beautiful. And tranquil?

All done with my bookwork for the class. Instructor told me how much he appreciated me turning it in so early.

Just working out a lot now. Pool dive next weekend, just working on stuff on my own.

Amazing how much progress you have made in your diving skills and having so much fun along the way! Enjoying seeing these wreck videos, always was interested in Great Lakes shipwrecks and as a Chicago born and raised person, some major wrecks are right in "the neighborhood" so to speak

7BED0B12-4F2A-4565-B280-2D68A2548967.jpg

This is my goal for this year after I get my technical diving cert after finishing class this year. I’ve been obsessed with this wreck after I first saw a pic of it right after I was certified 3 years ago. Thomas Hume, 3 master schooner that carried lumber from Muskegon, MI to Chicago. She’s smack dab in the middle of the lake, 150ft deep (perfect since my class will certify me to 150ft). She sank in May 1891. All 3 masts are still on the wreck. They became unstepped during the sinking and are laid across the rail on one side.

Pool session for class next week.

A friend took this photo last year.
    Last edited by Tradd; 5-27-20 at 3:25pm.

Thread Information