Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: My Diving Experiences

Sounds like a good class and program that really meets people where they are and takes them slowly to enjoyment of scuba. Good!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Signed up for my certification class today, combined with dry suit cert. Doing the online learning option, with a 3 hour classroom review of digital learning. This and the pool dives will be done by the end of this month. Check out dives are mid-September (Sat & Sun, 2 each day) with the dry suit dive also done the Sunday of that weekend. There's a BBQ the shop does after the OW dives are done on the Sunday of that weekend.

The check out dives are at a local quarry, about 90 minutes south of Chicago. I'll be certified in time to do the underwater pumpkin carving at the quarry if I want to. Sounds like fun!

Forgot to mention, the first couple of times I had the regulator in my mouth, I *did* start gagging. But I figured out where to place it and then it didn't happen.

When I was at the dive shop yesterday, the husband of the frightened woman was there, turning in her rental gear. She had decided not to continue on with the class.

I'm working on my online work for the open water cert this week (classroom review is next Monday) and reading the dry suit book and doing the test for that, as well. I ended up buying the book for the dry suit cert, as it's just easier. We need to print out everything from the OW online learning and when you figure in printer ink and paper, having the book is nicer.
    Last edited by Tradd; 8-14-16 at 6:51pm.

I hadn't read this thread before as no knowledge of scuba diving, but I decided to check it out today.
    I had a very similar experience with boyfriend. He has a motorcycle and I'm really phobic about speed and most things with physical danger, so I never thought I'd get on the motorcycle with him.
    But we decided to start really slow and give it a shot. He was really sensitive to my fears and we researched it (he hadn't had a passenger before either) and very slowly got me accustomed to it, and I ended up liking it a lot, even considering getting my own bike eventually. We still have only gone to 90 k/hr (max speed limit where we lived before) so I'm nervous about 110k/hr that is the limit here, but hopefully I'll get used to that too.

Anyhow, moral is it's great when a new person encourages us to or just gives us a reason to get out of our comfort zone and we gain a new experience because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestra View Post
    I hadn't read this thread before as no knowledge of scuba diving, but I decided to check it out today.
    I had a very similar experience with boyfriend. He has a motorcycle and I'm really phobic about speed and most things with physical danger, so I never thought I'd get on the motorcycle with him.
    But we decided to start really slow and give it a shot. He was really sensitive to my fears and we researched it (he hadn't had a passenger before either) and very slowly got me accustomed to it, and I ended up liking it a lot, even considering getting my own bike eventually. We still have only gone to 90 k/hr (max speed limit where we lived before) so I'm nervous about 110k/hr that is the limit here, but hopefully I'll get used to that too.

Anyhow, moral is it's great when a new person encourages us to or just gives us a reason to get out of our comfort zone and we gain a new experience because of it.
    Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself now! I'd not get on a motorcycle, for the sole reason of other drivers acting stupid around them.

It's interesting how many older women have told me they had wanted to try diving when they were younger, but never did or chickened out.

My guy friend is super excited that I'm getting into diving. He said it's fun for him, too, seeing my enthusiasm.

I had my classroom session and pool work this week. So much fun! But a lot of work, too. Definitely a stretch for me, but in a good way.

You have to do a 200 meter regular swim or 300 meters with mask, snorkel, and fins. Thought latter would be easier as it's all legs. Wrong! Couldn't get comfortable with breathing through snorkel and it meant I had to look down into the water - deep end fears. Aborted that after half a length and did regular swim. Dang near did me in. I was the slowest. Apologized to the other 3 in class for holding them up. Instructor did it with me. Urging me on, but also I think he wanted to make sure I didn't drown! I did it mainly on my back, no back stroke, just kicking and moving my hands to push me through the water. When instructor asked what the problem was, I told him about deep end fears.

But I was totally fine underwater in the deep end. Sat on the bottom in 12 feet of water and just chilled! . I was near a drain, too (they had low square plastic covers over drains with a solid top and small slits in the sides, so nothing scary about them.

A couple of the skills caused me issues, but with a little extra attention from the instructors and I got through it.

Actual cert dives at the local quarry are in about 3 weeks.

Tradd,that is amazing progress, you are going after ths thing!

As for the gagging issue, I bought my own regulator set and had it fitted with a smaller mouthpiece. No more gagging.

You are making it work for you! It is wonderful to hear that you are succeeding in overcoming your fears and letting others know what is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    As for the gagging issue, I bought my own regulator set and had it fitted with a smaller mouthpiece. No more gagging.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information