Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Very strong gag reflex & scuba diving & phobias

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Tradd, You are inspiring! I love reading about how you progress and am awed by the amount of physical work it is, plus the fear factor. Have you gone back and read your first post about this? What a journey and you are letting us join in!
    Yes, I have. The difference is astonishing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Tradd, I find your progress truly inspiring!! We have some good diving up here by Traverse City so think about coming up this way some time. (We don't dive but I think it is wonderful how you have gotten into this sport and overcome your fears. Yay!)
    Yes, I do plan to get up there sooner rather than later!

Forgot to post about the very neat experience I had last weekend.

Did a chamber dive today at the only hyperbaric chamber in the area that is open to taking divers and other emergencies. It's in a hospital that is a Level I trauma center. We were taken down to 130 ft. There were 12 of us. We had empty water bottles and balloons to demonstrate Boyle's Law. When we were descending it was very hot - around 100 degrees. As we were coming up, it cooled down and actually got foggy in the chamber (they can't totally dry out the air fed to the chamber). It was funny to see. We took brought our dive computers into the chamber with us, immersing them in water to activate them. It was neat watching my computer throughout the "dive."

This was an opportunity to experience getting "narced" - have nitrogen narcosis - in a very controlled environment. Invaluable for when you're at depth. It goes away when you ascend. It's very similar to being drunk. I had a buzz going.

I got very silly and giggly when narced. I had a very high pitched voice at depth due to the pressure change. Minnie Mouse on steroids! One diving family was there - dad (an instructor), mom, and their three teenaged sons, who were very funny to watch as they got narced.

The respiratory therapist in charge of the chamber did a very good 45 minute lecture beforehand. He has been at the hospital for about 30 years and has been doing these presentations and chamber dives since 1994, when they began at the request of the local Chicago dive community. He said more than 1000 divers have been through the chamber. They only see 2-3 cases of DCS a year. He talked about DCS (Decompression Sickness), AGE (Arterial Gas Embolism), etc., from a medical perspective, which was an interesting difference from the way it was taught in OW classes. However, one of my instructors is a nurse, so she had inserted some of the medical perspective in my OW course.

Tradd: I'm glad this has turned out to be such an enjoyable hobby for you!