Page 12 of 79 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: My Diving Experiences

I had my night class Saturday evening. I'm very happy to report that I've now gotten my Advanced rating! You needed 4 separate specialties, plus 25 logged dives. I came in at 53 dives. I leave for my long-awaited Lake Huron trip next Tuesday.

great progress, Tradd. Glad to hear this update. How long is this Lake Huron trip, and how many dives will you get?

Happy diving, tradd. I love your enthusiasm and enjoy hearing of your adventures.

Iris, 3 days of diving, 2 dives each morning.

Picked up my Advanced card yesterday. Rescue class is probably late September.

Can't wait to dive Wednesday! Leave Tuesday. It's an 8 hour drive each way. At least my diving buddy is driving with me, and can drive if necessary.

My Lake Huron trip had to be cancelled due to weather conditions. Yesterday and today there are up to 12ft waves on the lake. T'storms and high waves forecast for the rest of the week. I talked to the dive boat captain yesterday and we cancelled then. He had wanted to wait until today to make a decision, but as we would have been leaving today at 5 am, with an 8 hour drive before us, that was the best decision.

Dive buddy and I are hitting the local quarry tomorrow. We'll be diving Lake Michigan Saturday and Sunday morning. Our dive shop has a boat on the lake. So, we'll be getting two days of Great Lakes diving with only an hour's drive from home and without the hotel costs.

We're not out any money due to the cancelled trip. The dive boat captain didn't cash my deposit check and is sending it back. I specifically made hotel reservations with a slightly higher rate that would allow for cancellation without penalty.

Glad you will still be able to get some diving in this weekend. It's a drag when you're looking forward to something and it has to get cancelled, but I admire your attitude on going to Plan B.

Related to that, a friend told me her son-in-law's mother is gravely ill. However, he and his wife have been saving for a big vacation in the Caribbean for many months which is planned for her SIL's 50th birthday. Now, it's a tough decision on proceeding or cancelling or waiting or what.
    I think latest is that they are buying trip insurance, which I believe may be used for situations like this.

Well, Plan B may not work.

4-5ft waves are forecast for Saturday, so the boat may not go out on Lake Michigan at all. We're still 2 people short for the boat anyway (needs 4 to go out).

2-3ft waves on Sunday, which are doable, if a bit "sporty," but we still need 1 more person for the boat.

Dive shop let the boat go out today even though we only had 2 people (3rd person cancelled yesterday). We just had to pay for a 3rd seat. That was fine. We needed a break from the local quarry! Waves were 3-4ft and my stomach got a bit off kilter from it. Didn't puke, but we didn't go a 2nd dive due to me not feeling 100%.

We dove the Louisville, a wooden steamer that sank in 1857 on the IL/IN border after a fire. 7 miles from shore. 60ft deep, temp was 74F at 60ft.

Me above the propeller

Steeple engine

Prop

Bow

Ribs

Thread Information