Page 13 of 79 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: My Diving Experiences

I have a nice update. I met a nice couple through my dive shop last fall, at the underwater pumpkin carving event. They live in Michigan and have their own little dive boat. They invited me out to dive. We did that on Sunday. We went out on Lake Huron about 1/3 of the way up Michigan's Thumb.

These were my first deeper dives outside of my deep class (when we went to 85ft in the deep hole at the quarry, down and up, no room to swim around). One wreck was at 75ft and the other at 85ft. I was a wee bit nervous at first, but had two great dives. Huge confidence builder. I'm also not afraid to dive without my regular buddy. I just make it very clear to new dive buddies what my experience level is (I just did dive 60 on Sunday), that I'm still working on being horizontal in the water (aka the Seahorse Syndrome pops up a fair bit), and that I can be a bit nervous. The couple were wonderfully patient with me, gave some good suggestions, and were very nice. Turns out the wife had some big water fears when she began diving 4 years ago. She still doesn't really like to be on the surface in water deeper than she can stand in, but is just fine underwater! They both said they remembered what it was like being a novice. I so appreciated that. I was a good guest - I offered $40 for boat gas (which they took) and brought snacks for the boat.

We dove the Regina and Mary Alice B wrecks. The Regina went down in a very bad storm in November 1913 that claimed 6 other wrecks on Lake Huron. All went down with all hands. The Regina is a 270ft steel freight that was at anchor when the storm hit. She landed upside down. There is a big gash in her side. The anchor and chains are still in place. The Mary Alice B is a tug from the 1920s that sunk in the 1970s. It's thought she might have been scuttled for the insurance money. She's wonderfully intact and a nice small wreck.

First pic is the big gash in the side of the Regina. The other two are the Mary Alice B's wheelhouse and inside the wheelhouse from the door, with the wheel still in place. YouTube link is of the Mary Alice B.

PICT0058.jpg
    PICT0070.jpg
    PICT0073.jpg

https://youtu.be/zBX9ttI2DV4

Those photos are beautiful,and mysterious.

Some photos from diving Lake Michigan the past few weeks.
    PICT0036.jpg
    IMG_3411.jpg
    PICT0012.jpg

PICT0075.jpg
    IMG_3415.jpg
    IMG_3442.jpg
    IMG_3418.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

After a lot of work my buoyancy is finally decent. Getting more horizontal in the water needs more work, as do the other kicks I need to learn, but that will be a winter project. I've been diving in a wetsuit for the past three months, but now the the air temps will be cooler next weekend, I'll be back to my drysuit.

Some photos from the quarry this past weekend. Dive buddy put them through Photoshop as the quarry water is much greener. The black and white photo came from a frame of video. I think it may be a photo insert for my Christmas cards!

2000_0101_101337_002.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg

Rescue diver class this weekend. Has nothing to do with public safety diving, but with skills for laypeople. Everything from self-rescue, towing tired divers, helping calm panicked divers, to bringing someone up from the bottom, and getting them onto shore. I had to take a CPR/AED/first aid class as a pre-req. Never had CPR before.

Oh, and this is really funny. The guy who inspired me to try diving? He's not speaking to me any longer. Haven't heard from him in weeks. He's pissed that I'm diving as much as I am, and very put off that I'm going to have more training than he does. The last time we talked he mentioned diving Lake Michigan with me again. I told him that it wouldn't happen. He's all talk, and I told him so! Said he'd been saying that for months, and yet when the dive boat schedule was put up in the spring, he couldn't even be bothered to look at it. Also told him that if he was upset at me diving so much, he should just get off his butt and do it. But he couldn't be bothered to schedule anything and now the season is just about over. He won't dive with anyone but his brother or their mutual friend. If they don't want to dive, he won't.

He ended that phone call pretty quickly. I don't think I'll be hearing from him again. He didn't like hearing those truths.

Oh, I'm now at 78 dives and nearly 2 days total underwater time!

Tradd, I am so pleased you found something you love, especially when you were so concerned about safety, breathing etc. This guy gave you a gift and that's terrific. Too bad for him he doesn't want to dive. Enjoy.

Agree. Definitely his loss, your gain.

I know, I'm lucky I have literally stumbled onto something I love.

Now I just have to get over my catfish fear!

Thread Information