Page 10 of 79 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: My Diving Experiences

I'm now up to 27 dives. Our local quarry opened April 1 and I've been diving every weekend except Easter weekend and this past weekend. Had a buoyancy class at the end of April. Things are slowly coming together. Still get a bit nervous at times, but it's much better than it was. I have my underwater navigation class Sunday taking it with my regular dive buddy. Deep class is on Lake Michigan June 19 on a shipwreck.

I'm slowly getting in better shape. I snorkel a mile of laps in the pool twice a week. I've started to do a bit of yoga at home with YouTube videos to get better flexibility. I've lost 10 lbs since I went to the doctor last July. My endurance is much better and I'm not nearly as wiped out as I was last fall after a day of diving.

Lake Huron trip is a little more than 2 months away. Yay!

Tradd, I am so impressed with your journey!

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Tradd, I am so impressed with your journey!
    Yeah, me too! I'm curious--didn't you get into diving because of a guy you were dating? Is the guy still around, or did he serve his purpose by giving you your passion for diving?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Guy is still around, but just as friends. Nothing will ever develop out of it. But I took off diving and ran with it, making it my own.

Sounds as though you are having fun with it. Wonderful to read seeing all your progress.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

This is where I will be diving in late July - Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Underwater Preserve in northern Lake Huron. 3D virtual dives on a number of wrecks.

http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/vr/thunder-bay/

I had my underwater navigation class today. Underwater work with a mechanical compass. It's filled with oil, rather than water (as in a regular land-based compass), to withstand the uw pressure.

It beat my butt today!

First dive was surface: 100'ft out back out for kick cycle average. Triangle with 100 ft sides and square with 50'ft sides. Then repeat all at depth. This was one heckof a workout! You count your kicks to give you an idea of distance.

2nd dive was hitting 8 directional points in an octagon course at the quarry, with 50 to 100 ft waypoints.

I'm also now very comfortable in low viz. due to other students silting the bottom up, we had NO vis for a time. Just focused on my compass and kept plugging along. Back in October, I would have said "the heck with this" and headed for the surface! Water temp was about 56F. I actually dove withOUT gloves on 2nd dive. Everyone did. Hands weren't cold.

Had some buoyancy issues, especially on the second dive. Popped to the top (very slowly) from 20 ft. Had a difficult time getting back down. Instructor had to pull on my fins to get me past the first 3 feet to get me started. Not sure what the issue was, aside from too much air in wing. Continual tweaking process! She said she can't wait to get me in a wet suit and suspects I will have much fewer issues than diving dry. I bought a 3mm wetsuit recently. She allowed me to try her new one on. It FIT! Holy cow! By all logic, going by the size chart, it should not have fit me. It was the largest women's size they offer (14). It stretched 3 inches in the chest to fit me. Wow! I'll have to wait another 5-6 weeks to pull it out at the quarry.

I almost gave up once today, but instructor is a tough one and kept encouraging me. She said I've greatly improved in a short time. And no quitting now! Her partner instructor (they're a couple, too) told me everyone else has faith in me to do this, but I keep doubting myself. They're lovely people. I got big hugs from each at the end of the dive.

So this was a really good class. It was regular buddy and I, plus some other guy no one knew. He had been reminded via email and phone call of today's starting time, but he showed up about an hour late. ARGH. I hate that! If I hadn't been doing all the swimming over the winter, I'd have been done after dive 1! Deep is June 19th on Lake Michigan. Night is June 15th at quarry, and Wreck is late August on the Lake. 30 dives now. Will be diving two days next weekend, both days the last weekend in June, and every week in between. I'll have over 40 dives by the end of June and should hit 50 before Lake Huron trip in late July.

Regular buddy took his basic class with instructors from another area dive shop and was just amazed at how good my instructors are. We're taking advanced together.

I'm thrilled I did so well and passed this! Woot! And I don't ever have to do it again! Woot! I'm so proud of myself! I am exhausted! I was nervous about today and expected it to be a total cluster, but it went much better than I thought!

Tradd, I do enjoy reading the updates on your progress so keep them coming. Well done on the latest dives!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Tradd, I find your progress truly inspiring!! We have some good diving up here by Traverse City so think about coming up this way some time. (We don't dive but I think it is wonderful how you have gotten into this sport and overcome your fears. Yay!)

I might apply your method to learning something new myself this year--thinking of taking up the violin so that I can participate in Scottish dancing groups as I get too old to dance.

Tradd, You are inspiring! I love reading about how you progress and am awed by the amount of physical work it is, plus the fear factor. Have you gone back and read your first post about this? What a journey and you are letting us join in!

Thread Information