Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: desperately seeking pod casts

desperately seeking pod casts

I posted this on another forum but I'm looking to get a good sized list of pod casts people enjoy.

I am having eye surgery Weds on my "good" eye, I just had my bad eye done. I may not be able to get a new glasses prescription until week 4-6 post-op. Which means I will be blind. I can't identify my children when we are face to face when I don't have glasses on, lol. I am not relishing the prospect of sitting around blind for a month at all. Books on CD and podcasts are all I can think of doing.

so please hit me with your favorite podcasts, not just the simple life ones, anything you happen to like! TIA

Invisibilia
    Ask me another
    How to do everything
    Grownups read things they wrote as kids
    Tapestry (CBC radio)
    This is That (also CBC)

Surprisingly Awesome
    Radiolab
    THis American Life
    Planet Money
    Freakanomics Radio
    99% Invisible
    All Songs Considered
    Tiny Desk Concerts

You might also like Serial, a spin off from This American Life that was one long story about a guy accused of murder. I already have more stuff to listen to than time to spend listening so I never got around to it, but it sounds like you won't have that problem.

I was recommended Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" podcasts by a guy who listens to them all the time while he's working as a window washer way up high on buildings. He said Carlin has a unique way of delving into history from intriguing, quirky angles.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I listened to Serial but not that second one that is out that continues the story. How do you get CBC radio? Is it online?

thanks for all the great suggestions!

You can get CBC radio podcasts easily. I'm just not sure if you do it through iTunes or the CBC radio site, which is why I mentioned it. I have a podcast app on my iPhone and get everything through there.

thanks! I have an iPhone and an iPad with the podcast app, too so I should be able to get them as well

How are you operating the device and choosing the podcasts? Are others controlling the thing?
    I ask, because I am not sure how links will help, if you can't see to choose one to start?

If others are starting it, then you might set up a bookmark, with youtube bookmarks, of audio books, concerts, etc. you would enjoy listening to.

I get the podcast on my phone/tablet through the app, it has a search function. on my laptop, i get them from iTunes. I'll set up the podcast lists before the surgery, I've already started. I also got books on CD from the library already. No one in my family would be able to figure out how to set up a podcast for me so I'm doing it now. Then I'll set the font on the devices huge so I can with a magnifying glass pick out the podcasts. I already checked to see with my glasses off now, can I see to operate a podcast and I could with the large font and magnifier. The surgery will make that eye even less blurry so I should be ok. I won't be able to read or watch tv but I should be able to bring up the podcasts. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I was recommended Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" podcasts by a guy who listens to them all the time while he's working as a window washer way up high on buildings. He said Carlin has a unique way of delving into history from intriguing, quirky angles.
    Love "Hardcore History," and his other podcast, "Common Sense."

Thread Information