Thread: more connection with parents?

more connection with parents?

My parents were just in town, I got to see them last night for dinner and again earlier today. It was pretty nice, we get along well I think. I just know I want to connect to my dad more especially as they get older. People say I am more like my mom, I do like more like her, but I think personality I am more like my dad. We had some things we connect on, I am so grateful that my parents are who they are in many ways. We went to the Tattered Cover, they both read, and my mom pointed out a good book about the massacre of the Cheyenne. They are also both aware of things like People's History of the US, they visit museums when they travel around social justice issues. Years ago we all went to Washington DC, my kids were 15, 12 and 8. The one thing my dad really wanted us all to do was go through the holocaust museum. It was amazing, I think it was important to take my kids there.

We always have a time of adjustment, we went to dinner and there were TVs showing the Rockies game, so my dad told me all about the Rockies season. He also tried to explain how baseball works, I know that. I have really fond memories of going to Oakland A's games with him and have my old hat in my one box of childhood stuff. Meanwhile my kids and I were really into talking Star Trek. Not a bad thing, but a place I would like to build more connection. So my parents really like watching sports, local college teams and follow Iowa football. I just can't get into it, I see televised sports and just see men and the same 3 sports. My family doesn't believe soccer is a real sport, I could almost get into soccer. Plus I would be much more interested if there were also teams of women playing (I think they go to some women's basketball games as well). I have gone to some roller derby bouts that are fun, pretty much the only live sport I have seen as an adult.

Any advice on how to build some connection around sports that takes into account both of our interests. I wonder if there is a Star Wars themed sport, ha ha? or are there women's leagues that have televised games on regular stations (I have basic TV and don't want more than that).

Not politically correct, but I bet your dad would perk up at Lingerie football league.
    This coming from a guy who is probably the least into sports, with the most sports connections, then I would have dreamed possible.

Just ask your dad what he wants to do, the important thing here is to spend time with your parents. Make sure that you give them some quality time and make them feel loved. You are lucky both your parents are still alive, I lost my mom when i was still in high school and my dad followed 8 years after.

Yeah I am lucky, they are nice people.

I have been thinking a lot about how we all want to connect, I usually connect with people around music. It tells me a lot about a person, IMHO. So I think I will ask my dad more about music he listens to. I know some of it but it could be a good connector.

Thread Information