Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: City mouse or country mouse?

City mouse or country mouse?

I have been thinking a lot about this lately. Where is it easier to live a "simpler" life? Depending on how "the simple life" is being defined, of course. The automatic assumption is that the country wins over the city. Or another related question is, which is preferable after one reaches FI? Is it easier to manage financially after FI in a city, a small town, or the country? I know there is no right or wrong answer here. It is all related to one's preferences, comfort levels, leisure activities, skill and knowledge levels, etc. etc. Some on this site would never ever consider city life, and then some would be miserable in the country.
    I also think it is instructive to get beyond all the emotion and look at cold hard numbers. I know that where I live, paid off house, no debt, own a car, good heath, we get along great under the poverty/no income tax level for 2 people Here we have access to public transportation and everything is close in. Our transportation costs would go up some if we lived in a rural place. Our housing should go down however because of lower property taxes. Food costs would go up also, because of less availability/competition. We could save some perhaps if we gardened, but there is a learning curve and setup costs required for that. And we may tire of doing that after a while.
    Everything is a trade-off; this for that. I am wondering if any of you have any opinions, after becoming FI, about which type of environment is best for you? Rural, small town, mid-sized city, large city? Or even on the road/at sea? Permanent nomad wandering the world? All options. I can actually see the latter option being the cheapest.

May I suggest that you need some more info? At age 25-50, I have certain options living in the country - well water at minimal cost, garden for produce and meat, wood for heat, heat pump for cool, ease of comfort in a quiet setting living in one's own conservation area etc.

At age 50 plus, needs change. Some people leave making the change until it is too late and then are trapped in their rural dwellings requiring extra support that may be costly or even inaccessible. In my small town, I have minimal transit but some plus cabs, ready access within walking distance to all required services for a healthy person with healthcare services readily available, pay for water and natural gas heat and electrical AC, some garden produce but freeze locally available farm produce for the winter etc. I think it is a wash in the end as as one's needs change due to the impact of life's normal events. Been there, done both country and town living, love them both and content with the choices made but living simply.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am -- unquestionably -- a city mouse. The kinds of things I like to do call for the population density of an urban area.

But DW and I have thought for some years about selling the house and just about all our stuff and putting ourselves on a cruise ship for years on end. See the world, have the room maintained for you, eat what you want when you want, meet interesting people, and even have a room steward who would peek in if no one had heard from us in a day or two. Since cruises can hit $100 a day if you shop carefully, we'd only be looking at around $40,000 income a year for all that. And if we could do something on board (play piano in a lounge, lead excursions, etc.), that would make it even easier financially.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm a suburban rodent, dyed in the wool. All the perks of city living within a comfortable, leafy cocoon. Even better, now that I don't need to commute.

Jan Brett's Town Mouse, Country Mouse was one of my favorite children's books, btw. I do love a good illustrator!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm a suburban rodent, dyed in the wool. All the perks of city living within a comfortable, leafy cocoon. Even better, now that I don't need to commute.
    I totally agree with you. I've never understood the condescension or outright hostility some people display toward the suburbs. Virtually all the conveniences are within ten minutes of my house. And if I feel the need to see an opera or get car-jacked, I can always drive into the city.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I totally agree with you. I've never understood the condescension or outright hostility some people display toward the suburbs. Virtually all the conveniences are within ten minutes of my house. And if I feel the need to see an opera or get car-jacked, I can always drive into the city.
    I think it's the cheap developments that have sprung up like mushrooms in some suburbs--and maybe the lack of adequate mass transit that forces people into cars. Neither of those is a factor in my little first-ring suburb. And you're right--if I want crime or culture, it's only a bus ride away.

City all the way. while I do risk being mugged, the 'burbs lack architecture and an interesting built environment. It is blandland, thats why we do not like them. Sorry! The old close-in burbs with great old houses and downtown areas are too freaking expensive and hoity-toity for me.

I also like being less than ten minutes away from most theaters and knowing where to park, as an regular atendee, so that I can rush in the last minute. Two important venues are out in the 'burbs and I utilize them less often because of their impossible location.

I really want to live in a small town. The city and its amenities have worn thin for me. Though I do appreciate Indian Restaurants!

Living way out in the boonies often means too much driving!

But a small town...

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    City all the way. while I do risk being mugged, the 'burbs lack architecture and an interesting built environment. It is blandland, thats why we do not like them. Sorry! The old close-in burbs with great old houses and downtown areas are too freaking expensive and hoity-toity for me.

I also like being less than ten minutes away from most theaters and knowing where to park, as an regular atendee, so that I can rush in the last minute. Two important venues are out in the 'burbs and I utilize them less often because of their impossible location.
    Maybe I'm a philistine, but I prefer my low-maintenance, low-murder Ranch to shackling myself to a demanding trophy-wife of a Victorian. A friend of mine owns a 110 year old Victorian in my little city, and he seems to be fighting a constant battle to keep the place up. Maybe I'll feel different when the nest is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Maybe I'm a philistine, but I prefer my low-maintenance, low-murder Ranch to shackling myself to a demanding trophy-wife of a Victorian. A friend of mine owns a 110 year old Victorian in my little city, and he seems to be fighting a constant battle to keep the place up. Maybe I'll feel different when the nest is empty.
    Oh no, if you dont love your architecture you shouldnt have architecture! Besides, those 60's ranches are becoming very trendy and may have reached the status of "architecture." I know that some of them are very wonderful.

Thread Information