Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: City mouse or country mouse?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh no, if you dont love your architecture you shouldnt have architecture! Besides, those 60's ranches are becoming very trendy and may have reached the status of "architecture." I know that some of them are very wonderful.
    I'm waiting for "earth tones" and formica to come back into style. Then I'll sell out, stuff my cargo shorts with cash and move into a condo.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I'm waiting for "earth tones" and formica to come back into style. Then I'll sell out, stuff my cargo shorts with cash and move into a condo.
    IL is right--I was helping my DD with her new apartment and "mid-century" furniture and accessories are very, very trendy. She LOVES the shapes of 50s/60s furnishings. So, next up: Harvest Gold and Avocado shag rugs! (But don't hold your breath)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Dude, if you have original orange formica on your brown cabinets in your 70's ranchette, you are a mere 3 years away from top of trend. For the hipsters, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Dude, if you have original orange formica on your brown cabinets in your 70's ranchette, you are a mere 3 years away from to,to trend. For the hipsters, anyway.
    So all I need to do is live long enough for hipsters to become yupsters and IPO their artisanal cheese companies? I may start exercising!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I am -- unquestionably -- a city mouse. The kinds of things I like to do call for the population density of an urban area.

But DW and I have thought for some years about selling the house and just about all our stuff and putting ourselves on a cruise ship for years on end. See the world, have the room maintained for you, eat what you want when you want, meet interesting people, and even have a room steward who would peek in if no one had heard from us in a day or two. Since cruises can hit $100 a day if you shop carefully, we'd only be looking at around $40,000 income a year for all that. And if we could do something on board (play piano in a lounge, lead excursions, etc.), that would make it even easier financially.
    I think you could do a little better than $100 a day if you purchase one way cruises one direction, 90 day trip, when they have to get the boat back to home port. Then take a break until the next one starts, in some very cheap place to live. Could work. However the con is, getting rid of stuff you are attached to, and/or storing some or all of it which adds to the total cost of living. I personally would get sick of being on the boat all year...would rather just travel and live in several countries for 6 months or more at a time, that are pleasant and cheap places to live.

I totally agree with you. I've never understood the condescension or outright hostility some people display toward the suburbs. Virtually all the conveniences are within ten minutes of my house. And if I feel the need to see an opera or get car-jacked, I can always drive into the city.
    Or you could even see an opera AND get car-jacked. All on the same day!

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    If I got car-jacked before I paid for parking, that would be an added bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    It's more likely you could see an opera and have your car booted by some rip-off parking lot. Which would prevent it from being jacked!

I've lived in a (very) small town--picturesque but boring as a flotation tank (unless your hobby is gossip); a largish city--plenty to do, minimal crime at that time; and three suburbs. I've never lived in the country, and wouldn't, due to environmental concerns, lack of amenities, and perceived rural mentality. I could live in a city, but prefer slightly outlying areas. Very small towns and country living are non-starters, but I might consider a smallish town located not far from a metropolitan area, if it were attractive enough.

I live in a small city (22,000) surrounded by farms and wilderness. It's ideal for me. It has many of the amenities of a big city (theaters, shops, galleries, over 100 restaurants, lovely parks, lots of events and educational opportunities) without the crime, traffic, or noise of a big city.

University and/or tourist towns work for me (Ashland is both.) I can afford a comfortable house with a large garden within walking distance to downtown. And it is exceptionally bike friendly. House prices are going up really fast, though.

I also have a ranch house. We looked at a lot of beautiful Victorians but realized they don't suit the way we live. I love single-story living.

I always thought I was a city person...44 years ago we bought this little wooden rancher about 30 minutes from a small town- 50,000 people now, but only 25,000 then. We both taught school in the town. We only have an acre but there are fields and woods around us as well as some houses. Not rural or suburban but "out in the county". Our road has a double yellow line....that to me means it's not rural! The thought of having to live with neighbors right next door makes me uncomfortable, but having a house in viewing distance is comforting. So, I guess I am a country mouse. I seldom go into the town. there is a fine smaller town about 10 minutes away that has a grocery store, library, bank, hair cutter- so that's where we tend to go more often.

Thread Information