Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrolyte powder?

Electrolyte powder?

I sweat like no one else I've ever met. I was at physical therapy yesterday and mentioned that and my therapist mentioned several kinds of powdered electrolytes that you mix with water, and it replaces just more than salt and water. I guess they carry these at bike shops.
    I don't live anywhere near the shops she mentioned, and was looking for something on Amazon, and decided to ask here if any of you have a brand that you really like.
    Thanks!

This right here is probably the best thing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I sweat like no one else I've ever met. I was at physical therapy yesterday and mentioned that and my therapist mentioned several kinds of powdered electrolytes that you mix with water, and it replaces just more than salt and water. I guess they carry these at bike shops.
    I don't live anywhere near the shops she mentioned, and was looking for something on Amazon, and decided to ask here if any of you have a brand that you really like.
    Thanks!

Propel is found at Target/Walmart/Grocery stores. A powdered electrolyte drink that you just add water to. My husband drinks it here in Hawaii while training for ironman races. If its a super hot day and an extra long run/ride then he'll step up to the more intense kinds usually sold through triathlon/bike shops.

I know he likes Tailwind.

Something to consider is the amount of calories/sugar you want to consume with those electrolytes. Propel is zero cal, a lot of the fancy sports drinks like Tailwind have some kind of high calorie sweetener.

I think they are unnecessary for most people, unless they are engaged in extremely heavy activity.

And even then, you are probably better off eating a banana and a handful of salted nuts.

How much water do you consume in a day?

Brawndo!

Brawndo!
    I used to love that movie. Now it seems more like a documentary and not satire and it isn't funny anymore.

Yeah, I'm looking for something that has very little sugar in it.

I drink about a quart of water before going out to work, then several times in the next few hours outside I drink several more 12 oz (?) glasses full. Seems like I pee it out immediately though.....even though I've had enough salt.
    I have switched to home-distilled water, rather than well or purified water from the store.....so maybe I've lost some minerals there.
    I have to remind myself to drink more, since I don't seem to have the thirst sensation any more. I guess that can happen as you age.

I've made my own lytes drink......but it only has a little sugar/salt/water.....which doesn't replace other minerals.

I just can't believe how much I sweat. Even when I was thin and young, it just poured off me. I'm also on a little bit of an SSRI, which can make you sweat too. But geez.........I sure wish it would let up.

I've worked so hard and sweated so much in the past, that I have several "episodes" of confusion/dissociation.....which is pretty scary, so I don't want that to happen again.

So the only thing I can think is that I need to replenish what I'm losing a lot more. Another theory is that I might just be overheating, in which case I just need to take more breaks.

You're peeing it out because that's a whole lot of water and you probably don't need that much. My opinion ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    You're peeing it out because that's a whole lot of water and you probably don't need that much. My opinion ...
    Pretty much nobody drinks enough water.

Last year my department, full of people with advanced medical training, and under permanent doctor's orders to *overhydrate* because of our work, was warned two weeks in advance that we would be tested with new gear that could determine, among other things, our hydration levels. 75% of us failed.

I have lost 8 pounds during a two hour response. That's a whole gallon of water...

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I have switched to home-distilled water, rather than well or purified water from the store.....so maybe I've lost some minerals there.
    I have to remind myself to drink more, since I don't seem to have the thirst sensation any more. I guess that can happen as you age.
    Cathy, I have heard that drinking distilled water can cause serious mineral loss -- dangerous mineral loss, not just a bit. I would definitely check this out.

edited to add that this seems like Quite The Energetic Internet Debate, so you've likely already thought about it!

Thread Information