Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Campus carry?

Gregg -

I have ~300 firearms. Most of them are historically significant in one way or another. I will not be modifying them with some wacky new technology, any more than I'd put a SatNav system, airbags, and backup camera into a '66 Shelby Cobra.

The firearms I carry for self defense however - they must be highly reliable, under all sorts of environmental conditions. The ones I select I pick primarily for engineering reasons - they are the ones with the simplest designs, the fewest moving parts, the largest clearances, and so on. They must always work. I would not ever carry a firearm for defensive purposes that relied up batteries and software, and that introduced additional points of failure.

There's no upside for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Gregg -

I have ~300 firearms. Most of them are historically significant in one way or another. I will not be modifying them with some wacky new technology, any more than I'd put a SatNav system, airbags, and backup camera into a '66 Shelby Cobra.

The firearms I carry for self defense however - they must be highly reliable, under all sorts of environmental conditions. The ones I select I pick primarily for engineering reasons - they are the ones with the simplest designs, the fewest moving parts, the largest clearances, and so on. They must always work. I would not ever carry a firearm for defensive purposes that relied up batteries and software, and that introduced additional points of failure.

There's no upside for me.
    Understood bae. Weapons of historic significance wouldn't show up on my personal radar when addressing issues of stolen guns being used in criminal activity. My thoughts move pretty quickly past even the Kalashnikov poster children to handguns just because that's what most criminals seem to buy/steal/use. Smart gun technology looks like a way to make them safer for the average (read: novice) owner, the owner's kids who find them in the nightstand, a person having a tough run acting on a suicidal impulse, etc.

One of the technologies talked about is simple RFID. The key fob for my 1997 GMC pickup has worked just fine for almost 20 years. I replaced the battery in that once that I can remember so, yes, a battery failure is a possibility if someone did not keep up with scheduled maintenance. Beyond that I've never experienced a failure no matter how many times I've dropped the keys on concrete. That's pretty reliable. Obviously a gun needs to be maintained to function correctly, but there is a definable failure rate associated with any mechanical device. Its rare, but I have seen guns jam. Your point about additional points of failure is valid, but I'm wondering if its really worth consideration in most home defense scenarios if the new, add-on technology is more reliable than the tech it is being added to? (Serious question, trying to see all sides.)
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Your point about additional points of failure is valid, but I'm wondering if its really worth consideration in most home defense scenarios if the new, add-on technology is more reliable than the tech it is being added to?
    Yes. Even assuming your assessment of the statistical reliability of the "new" technology is correct, which you may find it is not...

Thread Information