Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Campus carry?

Campus carry?

Have you all heard much about this?

http://patch.com/texas/downtownausti...nd-zero-debate

Apparently students at UT-Austin can concealed-carry guns on campus according to a new law going into effect.

I work at a university and there seem to be tons of crimes going on. This week there were several robberies. A dude just walked up to some people and demanded their cell phones and wallets. When they hesitated he pulled out a gun. Then they gave the phones and wallets. At that point he pistol-whipped one of the women across the back of the head and ran away.

This is totally normalized at the university I work for... happens very often.

Would concealed carry prevent this? Or would it turn a wallet-stealing/pistol-whipping into a massive Old West-style shoot out?

Some professors in TX quit when this was allowed. I would feel less safe with a bunch of unskilled people shooting it out. I guess it was confusing when in TX a guy was shooting students from a tower I think in the 1980's and then students got guns from their trucks and tried to get him. When law enforcement arrived it was confusing as to who was the bad guy, etc although I think I read in the end a cop and a regular guy with a gun made it up to the tower and got the guy.

I'd be perfectly fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Some professors in TX quit when this was allowed. I would feel less safe with a bunch of unskilled people shooting it out. I guess it was confusing when in TX a guy was shooting students from a tower I think in the 1980's and then students got guns from their trucks and tried to get him. When law enforcement arrived it was confusing as to who was the bad guy, etc although I think I read in the end a cop and a regular guy with a gun made it up to the tower and got the guy.
    I just recently read a story that a person was shot - for videoing the police from across the street in his garage with his cellphone. The officers stated that they saw someone waving an object and felt threatened.

I also remember some of the shoot outs in Iraq with trained soldiers - basically someone shot at them and they responded by shooting anything that was moving.

Just saying while a gun could make you safer in some situations, it could make you less safe in others.

This year is whacky enough to keep this issue mostly off my radar. Pick your battles...
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

If ownership of guns was more tightly restricted, there would probably be fewer gun-related deaths. If ownership of automobiles was more tightly restricted, there would probably be fewer automobile-related deaths. It's probably safe to say we pay a price in blood for many of our freedoms. If we as a society decide it's worth paying, I don't see that a special case should be made for public universities. Is life any cheaper off-campus?

If there are multiple robberies on a university campus, I'd be wondering exactly what the university security force/local police were up to. Aren't they supposed to work to prevent such things?

But mostly, I think more weapons in the hands of those not trained to use them and not trained on how to respond in crisis situations is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellane View Post
    If there are multiple robberies on a university campus, I'd be wondering exactly what the university security force/local police were up to. Aren't they supposed to work to prevent such things?
    Typically, police in this nation don't *prevent* crime - they aren't staffed for that, and they don't have a duty to do so. (*)

They do often *reduce* crime (or at least shift it to neighboring communities) by their presence and patrolling, but the overall model is very response-to-citizen-call oriented.

(*)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren...ct_of_Columbia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_o...ck_v._Gonzales

Here at the university they announce crimes when they happen so that if it is a rash of crimes by one person or group you can get out of the way and not be the next victim.

Does that count as crime prevention?

OK, help me understand. There is no one that carries a gun here; some drug dealing does go on but I have not seen any nor have any of my neighbours, friends or family. I don't feel threatened.

What makes the US resident feel so afraid that one needs to carry a gun everywhere even into classrooms? Right now, the whole situation makes no sense to me; so what is different?

Is it a state of thought or are people really that vulnerable? How many on this site feel the need to carry a gun at all times?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information