Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Campus carry?

That's pretty much my take on it, Miss Cellane. No one in my small circle of friends and relatives has ever armed themselves (outside of military members, for the duration) and I, for one, feel no less safe for it. The chances of successfully using (or needing) a gun to defend oneself seem vanishingly small to me.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 8-6-16 at 10:25am.

Maybe it's just the way it is presented, but it seems like many gun advocates present guns as the be all and end all for self defense and protection. I would think if one was that concerned about personal safety, one would learn how to do more than what it takes to own a gun. Stay fit, learn self defense techniques that do not involve a gun, etc. And practice, practice, practice. I know people do this, but it seems like many (most?) don't.

All I can picture is all these teens with guns getting drunk....on top of their raging testosterone..........

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I don't feel particularly afraid of most anything in life.

I do carry a firearm almost always. Then again, I carry a tourniquet, gauze, EMT shears/rescue tool, pocket knife, a radio transceiver capable of communicating with fire/ems/law/parks/DNR/airlift/..., and a few other odds-and-ends always as well. And have life/fire/auto/medical insurance. And some fire extinguishers around the house, as well as tested smoke/CO detectors. Etc. Etc.
    I like to think that a reasonable amount of rational fear is the mark of a mature mind; and in any given situation will ask myself “What would George Costanza do?”. Over most of the scenarios I am likely to encounter, carrying a firearm would serve to reduce my overall safety rather than enhance it. I have the word of experienced military professionals on that (one suggested the only way I could hope to be a serious threat to the USSR would be to defect). I believe that applies for most people, and that no amount of range time is likely to change it. I therefore believe that outside of a few extreme cases, carrying a weapon on one’s person is a poor form of insurance.

However, just because I have made that risk assessment for myself it doesn’t follow that I feel a need to legally impose my views on others. If people want to face life’s real or perceived threats with a handgun in their handbag or a KA-BAR in their kilt, I see that as their business. But as a rational coward, I will face them with a cell phone, my lawyer’s business card and a well-informed pusillanimity.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    All I can picture is all these teens with guns getting drunk....on top of their raging testosterone..........
    I believe you have to be 21 to get a permit. It's against the law for teens to drink, and carry, so why would this law make a difference to them?

I would not want to be somewhere a bunch of people are packing and have an incident. I could see innocent people getting shot by people trying to help. If you are going to own a gun it makes more sense to keep it at home for break-ins, etc. The cops aren't even that accurate let alone someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    I believe you have to be 21 to get a permit. It's against the law for teens to drink, and carry, so why would this law make a difference to them?
    True, we all know that once everyone hits the age of 21 instant maturity sets in.

And on a side note, the first USA gold medal of the Rio olympics is for shooting! U S A! U S A! U S A!

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    OK, help me understand. There is no one that carries a gun here; some drug dealing does go on but I have not seen any nor have any of my neighbours, friends or family. I don't feel threatened.

What makes the US resident feel so afraid that one needs to carry a gun everywhere even into classrooms? Right now, the whole situation makes no sense to me; so what is different?

Is it a state of thought or are people really that vulnerable? How many on this site feel the need to carry a gun at all times?
    Great question. I, personally, would feel MORE threatened if I had a gun in my home. I feel safe in my home, with no security system, and I can't imagine routinely grabbing my phone and my gun before I left the house. I live in NJ--the most densely populated state in the US, and I would be more fearful of having my own gun used against me than not being able to protect myself unless I had a gun. Maybe because I am not trained to use them, but I think it's more because I think guns are strange things.

ETA: My daughter moved into a questionable neighborhood in DC her senior year of college and I sent her a care package of mace products, but it would never have occurred to me to get her a gun.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When I was a SW and went into people's homes I carried mace which was illegal in our state but i ordered it from out of state. All the SW's did a group order) Then I went back to grad school for a new profession after one of them was killed in her own home by 2 men that one of her clients knew from prison. It took them 20 years to solve the crime. Who knows-she might have survived if she had a gun and could get to it. She was a tiny 50 yo woman that fought really hard. They could tell this by how trashed her home was due to the struggle. It was really sad.

Thread Information