Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Definition of privilege

During the Zimmerman trial, how many young black men were shot to death in Detroit? What were their names?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    During the Zimmerman trial, how many young black men were shot to death in Detroit? What were their names?
    You are going to make a lot of people angry if you keep asking these questions.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Jobs and welfare reform. That’s what the African American community needs more than a denouncement of racism. You don’t have to have a homogeneity to have a non violent society. You have to have a fairly equal distribution of wealth and a real opportunity to advance socially and economically. Take every black person from the Detroit ghettos and replace them with white and the homicide rate for whites would skyrocket. It’s the Tantalus syndrome and it is alive and well in the United States.....and both parties have fed it.

Careful speaking the truth like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Jobs and welfare reform. That’s what the African American community needs more than a denouncement of racism.
    But it's not as satisfying.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

You have to climb out of your own biased opinions to make sense out of it. Zuckerberg wouldn’t have communicated or acted as Martin did. We have the cell phone call with the girlfriend to illuminate us on Martin state of mind and it didn’t reflect kindly on Martin. There are several very in-depth reviews of the case....I will try to find one for you if you are interested in approaching it with an open mind.
    My opinion is that Zimmerman was at fault for approaching Martin in the first place. That was the proximate cause for everything that followed. What exactly is a geeky teenager supposed to do when a random creepy dude approaches them and wrongly accuses them of nefarious activity when all they have done is walk down the street with some skittles and a soda? Zimmerman approached him not because he'd seen him do anything wrong, but simply because he was a black teenager walking down the street. None of the options for Martin at that point were good. I suppose he could've started running. But he'd likely have ended up just as dead. At least then Zimmerman might've ended up in jail although you never know, he'd have probably said "I thought he must've been guilty, why else did he run?"

Jobs and welfare reform. That’s what the African American community needs more than a denouncement of racism. You don’t have to have a homogeneity to have a non violent society. You have to have a fairly equal distribution of wealth and a real opportunity to advance socially and economically.
    While I agree that jobs and economic opportunity are critically important, they aren't even the starting point if one can't even walk down the street without being accused of a crime based on no more evidence of that crime than the color of one's skin not aligning with the majority of the people in the neighborhood?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    My opinion is that Zimmerman was at fault for approaching Martin in the first place. That was the proximate cause for everything that followed. What exactly is a geeky teenager supposed to do when a random creepy dude approaches them and wrongly accuses them of nefarious activity when all they have done is walk down the street with some skittles and a soda?
    I advise my grandsons not to physically attack an accuser and especially not to slam their head onto the sidewalk, as that never ends well for anyone. Plus, their hard won geek status may be lost forever.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I advise my grandsons not to physically attack an accuser and especially not to slam their head onto the sidewalk, as that never ends well for anyone. Plus, their hard won geek status may be lost forever.
    Geek status is highly overrated. I'm glad to be long rid of mine. Thankfully I didn't have to bash an asshole's head on the ground to do so. The only thing Martin did wrong is not bash hard enough. Stand your ground and all that. Dead men can't disagree with your version of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Geek status is highly overrated. I'm glad to be long rid of mine. Thankfully I didn't have to bash an asshole's head on the ground to do so. The only thing Martin did wrong is not bash hard enough. Stand your ground and all that. Dead men can't disagree with your version of the story.
    Remind me not to piss you off, you don't seem to understand the premise of stand your ground.

Thread Information