Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Definition of privilege

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Remind me not to piss you off, you don't seem to understand the premise of stand your ground.
    Neither did Zimmerman.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Neither did Zimmerman.
    Stand your ground doesn't mean you can use physical force against people who piss you off, it means that when someone gets physical with you, you're not required to run. That's why Zimmerman was acquitted.

Please don't make other young men of any race think they're allowed to use force against anyone who pisses them off. That's irresponsible.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

The problem with Florida's stand your ground law is that it lets people initiate contact and then claim self defense when that contact goes badly. I repeat my earlier question, what should Martin have done when a random creepy dude approached him and wrongfully accused him of wrongdoing based on the color of his skin? Martin clearly, and correctly as it turns out, understood that his life was potentially in jeopardy and reacted accordingly. Ultimately his reaction proved to not be the right one, but he didn't know Zimmerman from Adam, so his fear and reaction seem perfectly logical to me. The assumption of many seems to be that if he'd just kept walking and ignored Zimmerman it would've turned out fine. I'm not at all convinced of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Remind me not to piss you off, you don't seem to understand the premise of stand your ground.
    Dont worry. I’m a bland, slightly overweight middle aged white man. If you see me walking down the street with a pack of skittles in one hand and a soda in the other you’ll probably just ignore me. It's highly unlikely that you'll feel the need to engage me and risk your life.

Dont worry. I’m a bland, slightly overweight middle aged white man.
    Time to go to church!

Going back to the original topic - jp1’s post stands as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Going back to the original topic - jp1’s post stands as an example.
    I think the question is, if he had left out his description of being white, would the millions of other people of color who merrily walk down the street with a pack of skittles in one hand and a soda in the other without drawing attention to themselves also be considered privileged or is this ability solely the province of white males?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Williamsmith
    There are facts and circumstances in the Zimmerman/Martin case that are inconvenient to the “white privilege” narrative. They aren’t talked about by defenders of Martin. Often it becomes necessary to ascribe predjudiced behavior to Zimmerman simply to make up for the inconveniences.

Zimmerman’s primary motive was that his neighborhood (which was mixed race)was experiencing an outbreak of burglaries and thefts. His own neighbor , a single woman with a baby had intruders break in her house while she was home.

He and others had formed a neighborhood watch as tens of thousands of people have done in crime plagued neighborhoods. Watching.......requires watching. Watching often involves moving to positions with sight advantage and necessarily following. The facts are that Zimmerman first saw Martin and immediately suspected he didn’t belong not because he was black. It was because he fit the description of previous encounters with burglars and thieves in the neighborhood.

Martin was young, wearing hooded sweatshirt and had his hands concealed. It was raining and he was looking into places. He was loitering, not going from point A to point B. It didn’t take long for Martin to realize he was being watched. His destination was an apartment in Zimmerman’s community that he could have already been to easily from the 7-11 he was coming from well before the incident happened.

But instead, Martin concealed himself knowing Zimmerman would follow looking for him. Martin ambushed Zimmerman and assaulted him. Clear evidence from witnesses and a mound of physical evidence cooroberated Zimmermans account. Had Zimmerman not been armed, he would have lost this fight, been seriously hospitalized or killed. But he was armed and feared for his life and defended himself. Period.

That Zimmerman was not white necessarily still isn’t a problem to the people who push the privilege narrative. He is apparently white enough to be prejudiced. If you want to use this case as an example of white privilege.....you have to leave out a lot of facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Time to go to church!
    Only if you'll come with me.

Only if you'll come with me.
    I work out at home, but if you were in C-bus and wanted a gym buddy, I would consider it!

Thread Information