Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Definition of privilege

Williamsmith
    I studied the Martin/Zimmerman case. Proving that Zimmerman committed any crime beyond a reasonable doubt based on the evidence ...... was a huge stretch. If it wasn’t for race, media bias and expansive vigilantism necessitated by police indifference to neighborhood issues; we probably would have never heard about this case. Pick another martyr jp1....there are better ones out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I studied the Martin/Zimmerman case. Proving that Zimmerman committed any crime beyond a reasonable doubt based on the evidence ...... was a huge stretch. If it wasn’t for race, media bias and expansive vigilantism necessitated by police indifference to neighborhood issues; we probably would have never heard about this case. Pick another martyr jp1....there are better ones out there.
    Like The Gentle Giant Michael Brown?

Another false god in the game of race politics.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    Like The Gentle Giant Michael Brown?

Another false god in the game of race politics.
    Perhaps a worse example ...... if that’s possible. Walter Scott would have my vote if I were into that sort of thing. His life was truly snuffed out unnecessarily. But then, justice prevailed and Mr. Slager is serving a twenty year sentence.

IL: I just read that St. Louis had double the homicide rate that Chicago and Baltimore have.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL: I just read that St. Louis had double the homicide rate that Chicago and Baltimore have.
    I noticed that in Williamsmith's post about travel to NYC, several people said "I felt safe." I thought that was an odd comment, actually. I don't think of NYC as UNsafe, and I have to admit that Guiliani is responsible for that in good measure.

So I looked up crime rates across the US, and found that New York City is #32 on the list for violent crime, after cities like San Diego, Austin and Portland. For murders/manslaughter, it ranks 13. For robbery, it's 39. As for me, I've had a computer stolen from my car in Burlington, VT. I've also had my wallet and/or pocketbook stolen in NY 3 times. But, strangely, the New York thieves took the money and threw the wallet/pocketbook in the mailbox. I got most of my stuff back every time. So New York thieves are very thoughtful thieves. OTOH, I didn't get my computer back in Vermont.

Safety is not a huge issue in NYC tourism, unless you decide to take your life in your hands by driving there.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I used to go to NYC on weekends in the early 80s. It did not seem especially safe then, and I always travelled with a group. The NYC of today is like Disneyland by comparison. Clean, safe, friendly, service-oriented. Not as many people in giant furry suits though.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I used to go to NYC on weekends in the early 80s. It did not seem especially safe then, and I always travelled with a group. The NYC of today is like Disneyland by comparison. Clean, safe, friendly, service-oriented. Not as many people in giant furry suits though.
    I remember the Times Square of that period as a smorgasborg of sleaze.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I remember the Times Square of that period as a smorgasborg of sleaze.
    It was a great time to be alive.

It was a great time to be alive.
    If all your shots were up to date.

Exactly. I grew up in the suburbs surrounding the five boroughs, occasionally going to "The City" for field trips and to visit relatives. Back then, ads used to run in the paper and on TV recommending that people not wear jewelry on the subway lest you appear too attractive to thieves. Even out in the 'burbs they warned folks when shopping for Christmas/Hanukkah that, if they put purchases in the trunk of their car, they should move their car to another parking spot to avoid people who would jimmy the trunk open as soon as you went back to do more shopping. They weren't doing that to enhance tourism.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information