Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Definition of privilege

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Can you clarify?
    Sure.

It's popular these days to talk about privilege in terms of race, for it seems to only be available to white people, and it seems to me that the very idea of privilege implies that it is something above the norm and the only path to parity is to diminish that status. I think it would be more productive to elevate the norm rather than diminish it, raise up the under-privileged and establish a new norm.

I also cynically believe that many who prefer to focus on the idea of white privilege rather than other's empowerment do so in order to feel better about themselves, in some cases it's almost like "I know I'm better than you but I feel sooooo bad about it, doesn't that make me a wonderful person?"

I think we'd be better off focusing on dis-enfranchisement. It would be much more productive.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

There is a line from a song, "Got me Feeling guilty for being white".
    Sometimes that is what some of this talk sounds like.

I did a wonderful privilege exercise on a retreat weekend for mindfulness teachers. Since we would be teaching a variety of people it was important to talk about what it means. What I loved about this was there were many categories and ways to describe privilege of socio-economic class, gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, country of birth, etc. It is more complicated than simply race, even though unfortunately race can be the first thing we see.

Some of the economic ones were eye opening, if you have a job where your shift changes often or you are not guaranteed a certain number of hours that is recognized compared to a regular hours job that you can plan childcare and bills around. Another for me was religion, I go along with the Christian holidays because you can hardly get out of it but I am Buddhist in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood. It is more invisible, no one is going to notice these things by looking at you however it does have an affect on what you are able to take advantage of.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post

...Another for me was religion, I go along with the Christian holidays because you can hardly get out of it but I am Buddhist in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood. It is more invisible, no one is going to notice these things by looking at you however it does have an affect on what you are able to take advantage of.
    what does this mean?Christians have less privelege than non- Christians?

I often think that around Christian holidays when we are off work, and they have to go to church and I get to go out for Chinese food and to a movie.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-11-16 at 10:51pm.

In a common definition, I understand that a "Privilege" is a good grant or a benefit given to an individual to his or her advantage.

Since I'm not running for president nor do I live in the Deep South I don't find my non Christianity to be much of a hindrance. Although I do wish Christians would only play their Christmas music in the privacy of their homes and churches instead of forcing it on the rest of us relentlessly for months leading up day... :-)

I suspect more than would even admit it start to hate the materialistic run up to the Christmas season. So much has been lost.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Since I'm not running for president nor do I live in the Deep South I don't find my non Christianity to be much of a hindrance. Although I do wish Christians would only play their Christmas music in the privacy of their homes and churches instead of forcing it on the rest of us relentlessly for months leading up day... :-)
    So do many of us Christians. There's no need for the Christmas music and decorations to appear before Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by ctg492 View Post
    There is a line from a song, "Got me Feeling guilty for being white".
    Sometimes that is what some of this talk sounds like.
    Again, this is not about feeling guilty. It's not about taking away anyone's privilege.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    what does this mean?Christians have less privelege than non- Christians?

I often think that around Christian holidays when we are off work, and they have to go to church and I get to go out for Chinese food and to a movie.
    I think part of the exercise was realizing how much of a particular culture is portrayed in the media and how. So the relentless Christmas music is annoying, argh. Not necessarily about privilege. Having school programs around a religious holiday is a medium issue. I hear in the south they have afterschool programs that really should be in a church. It can also be that you make connections through a church and people help you get jobs through those connections. But getting your religious holidays off work without a problem is an actual thing. I think where I work I could ask for different days off for a holiday and it wouldn't be a problem. I am very open where I am at now about my practices, I share about as much as I hear other people share that they went to church. I read the environment, if co-workers have up religious symbols or quotes I may put up one thing of my own. I haven't had a problem where I am at now so I wouldn't count that personally but I have lived in places where it would not be okay at all.

Thread Information