Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Definition of privilege

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Again, this is not about feeling guilty.
    I disagree.

It's not about taking away anyone's privilege.
    And I disagree again.

two views of priveledge - one is that a right is something that you just have because you exist and it should not be taken away, but a priveledge is something you are given or earn and it can be taken away by the entity granting it.

or, a priveledge is something you have that not everybody has, so if we give it to everybody, we have in fact, effectively taken away your priveledge.

american culture does in fact, grant certain priveledges to those who are white, Christian, male, youngish, able bodied, straight, cisgender, English speaking, financially comfortable, born into certain families or locations, and/or willing to conform to cultural norms. Some of these are earned and others are given.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I disagree.

And I disagree again.
    You feel we should feel guilty?

You feel we should dismantle privilege?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am just being realistic. Some people, those who purposefully perpetuate and create an unjust system, should feel guilty.

And I think for privilege to be redistributed equally then some who have tons of it will have to give up some privileges.

And I think for privilege to be redistributed equally then some who have tons of it will have to give up some privileges.
    How would you go about enforcing the "have to give up some" part?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Not sure. But the good news for you is that there will be no enforcement!

Not sure. But the good news for you is that there will be no enforcement!
    Great. I'll be able to keep my ill-gotten pelf!

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Off the top of my head I think religious privilege should be taken away. Hobby lobby shouldn't be allowed to ignore health care requirements for the women working for them. They are conducting business in the US. Benefiting from everything doing business in the US brings. They are not a church. No religious privilege for them. Same for pharmacist. They shouldn't be allowed to refuse to fill a birth control script just because they don't believe in it. Or the Kim Davis types. She should have been fired for refusing to do her job.
    And any hospital receiving any public money shouldn't be allowed to refuse to properly treat based on their beliefs. Again, women who need a D&C or abortion to save their life.
    *Do any of you notice how most religious privilege centers around subjugating and discriminating against women. It's always about controlling women and their bodies and behavior.

Another example of privilege (as defined by "As go I so goes the world" ) are the people who think that because there may be plenty of jobs/opportunity in their little corner of the world, this is true everywhere. This type of person, when told that certain jobs are hard to come by, glibbly replies, "Well, there are lots of these jobs here", or 'why don't they simply retrain/go back to college/move/whatever'. This same type often says the person in the not so great job should simply 'get a better job'.

Privilege says there is NO problem with states closing polling places/license offices/early voting/draconian voter ID in certain places. These people, OF COURSE, can simply drive to the polling place, get the required ID, or take off work to vote. And the college students can SIMPLY return to their home state to vote.

These are just a couple of examples i can think of right now. there are many many more out there. But of course 'Privilege' will deny them all because, well, privilege.

We've had some hearty discussions about "white privilege" here, and I came across this article and definition of privilege which I think is relevant and very provocative:

Here's the article. I think it points to the fact that being fat and happy doesn't give us a pass in terms of trying to understand the plight of others and help however we can. Sometimes that "help" is simply being open to the possibility that your reality is not the only reality.
    'thinking something's not a problem because it's not a problem for you"
    I like this definition.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    'thinking something's not a problem because it's not a problem for you"
    I like this definition.
    It is remarkably clarifying, and may be a good way of communicating the concept to some folks.

Thread Information