Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we live in a toxic culture?

Well if the toxic element is the pursuit of money then yea.
    Trees don't grow on money

Talked with my brother yesterday who was reading a book about the 1920's in Milwaukee. He said the times then were REALLY bad. There were all kinds of mafia (not just Italians) and many shootings. He says we are no where near as bad now. Will have to ask him the name of the book. So.... "make America great again"..... is a fallacy!

So.... "make America great again"..... is a fallacy!
    I'm planning to make hats: "America it never was all that good to begin with" Don't quit the day job?
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I'm planning to make hats: "America it never was all that good to begin with" Don't quit the day job?

Obviously, you have done very little traveling outside of the US. If you had, you would know why we have so many illegal aliens and why people WANT to live here. My advice to you.... leave if you think it is so bad!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Obviously, you have done very little traveling outside of the US. If you had, you would know why we have so many illegal aliens and why people WANT to live here. My advice to you.... leave if you think it is so bad!
    Well, I think the U.S. is changing a lot. Most of us were comfortable with the way it was in years gone by. Just because some of us find it disconcerting/uncomfortable/scary with some of the changes, doesn't mean we should leave........and ruin some other country with overcrowding, refusing to assimilate, etc. Yes, there are many great things about the U.S., but I also think there are plenty of things we could do to change the less-good aspects of it. Actually, I think some of the other more advanced countries' citizens are starting to feel the same about their countries too.....and not feeling too great about it.

My parents were born in 1920 and we lived between Milwaukee and Chicago. They talked about the mobs, killings, etc. Also when things got hot the mobsters would go up to northern Wis to hide.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    The mob killings in the 1920's & 30's were terrible from documentaries I've seen. But for me, the difference today, are the mass shootings in schools, colleges, malls, movie theaters, churches and nightclubs. Random acts of killing innocent victims.

Or citizens being shot or harmed by police...and citizens harming the police.

We're at war with one another -- not mobsters killing other mobsters.

The growing hatred and harming of other humans, unknown to the killers, is what alarms me.
    peaceful, easy feeling

I think I've posted about this before, but there's an observable increase in narcissism and a decline in empathy:
    http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...hnologys-fault

Lots of ideas of why this is, but no one provable cause. My money is on over-population and increased work expectations, i.e., you're expected to be always available. Meaning you can't escape the rat race to decompress so you have nothing extra left to give to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I think I've posted about this before, but there's an observable increase in narcissism and a decline in empathy:
    http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...hnologys-fault

Lots of ideas of why this is, but no one provable cause. My money is on over-population and increased work expectations, i.e., you're expected to be always available. Meaning you can't escape the rat race to decompress so you have nothing extra left to give to anyone else.
    I had two friends today call me stressed out and griping about things going on with their jobs, so maybe my perspective is skewed, but I tend to think you may be on to something regarding work expectations. A common refrain that comes up in general work discussions with older coworkers/professional contacts is the crazy pace of the business world today. Both in the sheer amount of work people are expected to plow through now compared with the past and in the pace of change organizationally. Maybe people's memories are clouded by rose colored glasses (and not a small amount of alcohol consumption, a still common part of business dinners and after work meetings in my industry) but pretty much everyone talks about how much more "civilized" our business used to be until 15-20 years ago. I assume that people in other industries have the same conversations.

A few months ago one of the global product heads was in town for meetings and did an employee town hall for anyone interested in attending. Talking about the ongoing reorganization (5 years and counting) he asked rhetorically "who here doesn't like change?" One of my coworker friends who is nearing retirement age, sitting in the front row next to me, raised her hand. Of course she was the only one to admit it, and the global head is a decent enough person that he didn't call her out on this, but I'm sure at least half the people in the room felt the same way as her.

I cant see how extreme expectations of the workplace affect young men in gangs who create 85% of the gun violence around here. They aren't sittng at their desks for 12 hours chasing producton numbers.

Which is not to say that poverty and a life on the streets isnt stressful, but thats not what you all are talking about.

Thread Information