Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for frugal iPhone advice please

Many of the new GPS units allow you to download public domain map data.

OP, sorry to derail your thread. But I am happy seeing these answers about gps. Last
    saturday I spent 20 minutes driving out od the way to find a place.

I will start a new thread.

IL: I'm perfectly happy to share my thread with you. Thread drift can often go in interesting directions.
    I would envision the constraint of using free wifi for data acceptable in most instances, but would want the option to make an occasional call from the bus for example or the potential for an emergency call from the woods or somewhere without wifi. Doesn't Ting have something like that?
    I carried our Tracfone the past two weeks because we had a variation to our routine (which seldom happens). I used it exactly once, but the phone is so crappy I absolutely cannot hear anyone on it, so I just dialed, waited a few beats, started talking and hoped for the best. That's almost worse than nothing, although it did work, actually.

Tracfone now has a 'Bring Your Own Phone' option. http://get.tracfone.com/bring-your-own-phone/

There's a method at that link to see if your iPhone is compatible with their service and the plans don't look bad.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks, Alan. Oh, and my sister had Verizon for a carrier, if that tells us anything useful.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Thanks, Alan. Oh, and my sister had Verizon for a carrier, if that tells us anything useful.
    It's very useful. I believe Verizon's iPhone 5's are unlocked, meaning that you can register it with other carriers with the addition of the new carrier's SIM card. I'd check availability and plans from Tracfone, Boost, Virgin Mobile and MetroPCS.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks Alan, I will explore these options!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Op, Ill bet that you find this free thing is more trouble than it is worth. The device itself has never been what kept me from getting a cellular plan, it s the cost of the plan that gives me pause. That, and I hate givng any more money to AT and T.

I have an Ipad that is equipped for cellular service, but I have never pulled that trigger and I do not now have cellular service.

I have a Tracphone for emergencies that I may use once a year, when traveling. While it is true that I have thought about setting up cellular servcie for this Ipad and I may do it this year, this is not compelling for me now.

hey, have you gone through the Tracphone upgrade thing yet? Tracphone is changing its services and will send out a free phone. I now have the new, free, phone and set up was relatively painless. I will admit that I amost didnt go through with it, thought about cellualr service for my IPad and possibly getting a smart phone instead.
    Ugh.... just got a notice saying to go to a retailer to get updated phone. Went to Best Buy today and purchased a SmartPhone...trac phone. sigh

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I dont know what a Garmin is. I have assumed all along that if I got one of those gps car systems, I would have to have a cellular plan to make it work.

Is that a valid assumption? Or, is there really a system I can buy with a one time purchase and no ongoing costs that would give me decent gps?
    We bought a Garmin brand gps system just before Black Friday last year at Sam's Club. I could not be happier. The model we have is VERY easy to use, has a voice that tells streets (and we have the map up also), updates through our computer so always current (no extra fee), if you want- it can show when there are traffic problems or slowdowns. Can check to see restaurants, gas stations, hotels, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc in area. I sometimes go out in the car and get ideas for places we plan to visit. I would rather have a stand alone gps since it operates via satellite. Cell phones lose connections, etc. I wish I would have bought it sooner!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    We bought a Garmin brand gps system just before Black Friday last year at Sam's Club. I could not be happier. The model we have is VERY easy to use, has a voice that tells streets (and we have the map up also), updates through our computer so always current (no extra fee), if you want- it can show when there are traffic problems or slowdowns. Can check to see restaurants, gas stations, hotels, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc in area. I sometimes go out in the car and get ideas for places we plan to visit. I would rather have a stand alone gps since it operates via satellite. Cell phones lose connections, etc. I wish I would have bought it sooner!
    Im sold! You and sweetana convinced me. Garmin it is. When you have a chanve, tell me the model,you have. i am pumped to get exacrly rhe same thing.

Thread Information