Thread: I hear Flint is still not fixed

I hear Flint is still not fixed

So I saw a lot about Flint for awhile, I hear bits and pieces of information that I track. And I hear back and forth things but it sounds like there is STILL not clean and safe water in the community. Does anyone know for sure? And with that what do you do? I can't focus on every issue but this is my home state, so I thought about emailing people consistently or something to have an effect.

It is just so frustrating when you see it happening, some of the effects lead to learning disabilities, I know what larger than average number of learning disabilities in schools does to resources, so a higher suspension rate when there are not resources and some of the learning issues come out in behavior, suspensions lead to higher likelihood of jail/prison, and so on.

This is a problem with many separate parts. The water treatment system may be fixed. The infrastructure both major, water lines under the streets, and smaller, lines into and thru homes, will probably never be replaced and totally fixed. We had a 1939 home in Indiana with some lead water lines that we replaced. Some we could not since they were buried in plaster and brick walls. But we did not have the flushing issues Flint created. There is lead in water lines all over the country in mostly older communities and developments.

We should all consider what the problems may be in our own areas. Otherwise, it would become overwhelming and your email/time/effort would probably be better directed to areas that you can impact and have a more complete knowledge and understanding.

Thanks sweetana, I read up on more current news and it sounds like it is bogged down in choosing contractors so I feel better it is being worked on. We had poor water quality in areas of Denver and a middle school group did a great project. They researched the problem and found the easiest and most cost effective action was water filters in each home. So they got the sink ones at cost to sell to home owners and volunteered to install them as their service. I love that type of thing, the important part of the program they did was it had a strong research component where they could find out what the most effective action was going to be.

I have a lot of interest in some local educational issues, I am going back to focusing on things that are related since it is less work to focus on things that fall under areas I already work in. And then have some big gratitude for my own safe water!

I would recommend contacting the Flint Chamber of Commerce, to see what the condition is.
    Your water filter thing, might help reduce the lead problem, but certainly won't stop it. Treatment problems will last a while, and the water pipe issues, will be decades, unless you or somebody comes up with the money and the manpower to replace every single supply and waste pipe in its infrastructure.

I think the Denver water situation was not a lead issue but more a basic water quality issue so it seems that it worked out. I know when my son started a Denver high school in a 100 year old building he wondered why everyone carried water bottles. Then he tried the drinking fountain and had a water bottle with water from home the next day. Not water that would make you sick but certainly tasted bad.

Good idea Too Much, I would like to get accurate information. I know in Denver schools it is the heat thing. Our schools are super hot which is a problem, but it is hard to pay for full AC in all the buildings so there are large swamp coolers, lots of fans and various methods to cool down the hottest buildings. Since we run a lot of summer programs cooler buildings are important.

MI NPR:
    “Customer payments are necessary to help the City of Flint collect the funds needed to pay over $1.2 million per month for treated water and provide for water and sewer services as Flint continues to recover from the effects of the man-made water crisis," says David Sabuda, Flint’s Interim Chief Financial Officer. But even with a recently ended state subsidy, only about half of Flint residential customers are current on their water bills.Cost is a major issue in Flint.

A protester outside the water infrastructure conference
    CREDIT STEVE CARMODY / MICHIGAN RADIThe city is replacing lead and galvanized service lines connecting Flint homes and businesses to city water mains. Corrosion in those pipes is blamed for the high levels of lead in the city’s drinking water.

But it will take years to replace more than 20,000 service lines. And a lot of copper pipes.

I drive through Flint twice a month, it is so sad really. I69 is dodging potholes and hoping for the best, it is like gloom and doom passing through waiting to get to the outskirts of town. I know everywhere has nice areas, still not a chance I will stop in Flint anymore. And then we have the "D" in Mi too

Thread Information