Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what are these better paying jobs (teachers)

what are these better paying jobs (teachers)

I hear that we may actually get to a teacher shortage. I have my reservations about saying there is an actual shortage of qualified teachers, but rather a shortage of jobs teachers are able to take (mostly the pay). I read that 60% of teachers need an additional income to take care of themselves and their families.

But what are these jobs that teachers are leaving for? I guess I don't see a lot of well-paid jobs that teachers can move into. I am not sure how my skills would translate to another career. And I just broke the $40K barrier, I am still on the edge financially but I can make it. If I got a teaching job today it would be about the same, with the risks involved because my district does not keep teachers long term. I would just be able to add summer work to boost my income, my current job is year round. Teachers with BA degrees instead of Masters earn less.

I have seen teachers do a variety of things after leaving teaching but many are tutoring or working in other educational areas that still don't seem to be these high paying jobs.

I often hear from teachers (and other people in public service) that with their education and background they could go elsewhere and make a lot more money. I seldom see it happen. I think a big element in that is how transferable your skill set and background is to another field. The areas that pay well generally require some combination of in-demand skills and a track record of adding value (generally of the financial sort) to an organization.

That is more of what I see, some non-profit people may make a changeover. They tend to do more types of work in a non-profit. And they can show financial progress. However I see more people moving from business to non-profit. A lot of our school leaders come from a business background now, and I think it has mixed but not great results. I have hear of charters not even lasting a year, and kids lose a year of education.

There may be some crossover to business management--one of my favorite bosses was a burned-out school teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    That is more of what I see, some non-profit people may make a changeover. They tend to do more types of work in a non-profit. And they can show financial
    I've found that to be the case as well. I'm an officer and board member of a non-profit that does construction projects, runs a retail store and manages a portfolio of mortgages in addition to the usual fund raising, grant-writing and volunteer recruiting. Our highest paid employee gets $60K and no benefits whatsoever. I'm constantly surprised we don't lose more people to the private sector because so much of what they do translates better than education, law enforcement or government would.

Teachers are paid for 9 months work, correct? They usually have 3 months in the summer off?

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Teachers are paid for 9 months work, correct? They usually have 3 months in the summer off?
    I'm a white water enthusiast and have found that the best rafting guides are teachers on summer break.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

ldhal, is that Habitat for Humanity? Husband "volunteers" for them probably 40-50 hours a week. Next year the board wants to increase housing done to 30 from over 20. Going to be an interesting year.

My son left his eight grade math teacher job the first year and took a job in our county jail to do food service maintenance. He had background in that. He has since moved on to the private sector as maintenance manager in a large warehouse that provides airlines food. He has doubled his income in three years, as compared with teaching.

It's really too bad. Our kids need good teachers but their pay is low and the stress is so high - they leave as soon as they can. If they have any transferable skills.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    In a way, my sister has been teaching for almost 20 years. This is the first summer she worked for tutoring and a science summer camp. Often she has required ongoing professional development, her continuing education credit is also required and paid for out of her own money. And then a lot of teachers spend time in planning. So yes a lot of teachers get a chance to do something different and fun as a job, I think the report I saw was that they also need to take on extra work during the school year at a time when the work load is increasing a lot for all teachers.

Thread Information