Thread: Who Handles Credit Card Complaints?

Who Handles Credit Card Complaints?

Is it the FTC in the USA that handles credit card problems? I went to pay off a bill the other day, and got a notice of a late fee. So, I call and of course it is an offshore call center probably in India or some such place, saying the cut off time for my area is 1 p.m. Since when? I ask since it is not on the paper bill or online either. She says I am just supposed to know. I had a hissy with the person and finally she said she would remove the fee and I would get a notice in 10 days to 14 days. I suppose I need to file a written complaint too. There is NOTHING anywhere that says this on the bill! They could just decide to make it 1 a.m. if they want to or change it to a completely different date! I am not a happy camper right now.

Doesn't the cut off time have to be on the bill? It just has the date for pity's sake and says cut off on that date! Nothing about a time?!

I believe the law requires US credit card companies to set a deadline no later than 5pm in the timezone in which they accept payments. There is no requirement I am aware of for them to notify you of the time, only the date.

So if you live on the West Coast, or Hawaii, and your credit card company cuts off at 5pm Eastern Time because they are in NYC, you'd best pay a bit earlier in the day.

Where do you live, and which bank do you have?

Thread Information