Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caution: sharp cutting edge: money and politics

Jim Taranto's "Best of the Web" blog weighs in on the Hilary's health meme here: http://www.wsj.com/articles/c-is-for...ion-1473182664

Personally, I'm more inclined to view her various memory lapses as more tactical than physiological in nature.

Personally, I'm more inclined to view her various memory lapses as more tactical than physiological in nature.
    yea but that's what they said about Ronald ("I don't remember") Reagan
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    yea but that's what they said about Ronald ("I don't remember") Reagan
    God, I miss that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    God, I miss that guy.
    I'm trying like crazy to find a wonderful essay by Anna Quindlen I once read. I've quoted it numerous times, so when I actually find the article I'll have to see if I've quoted it correctly, or morphed it into my own ideas of what it should have said.

But essentially, I think she wrote it shortly after Bush 43 became President and she was weighing the chances of his success, and she boiled it down to one thing: how much he loved his job. She basically theorized that the country somehow gets the vibes of their president, who somehow leads the collective consciousness of the country with either a joie de vivre or its opposite, whatever that may be.

Who we don't want as President is someone like Jimmy Carter, who she said carried his responsibilities as president as if they were the Stations of the Cross.

OTOH, think about the times when America did best... when it was led by people who CLEARLY loved their jobs. Reagan was one, and Clinton another. (I personally feel that Reagan's optimism was the best thing he had going of him.) So her bottom line was, we'd have to see how much Bush loved his job to determine how well we would do under him.

History has spoken... (I guess he's probably much happier painting pictures of his dog.)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm trying like crazy to find a wonderful essay by Anna Quindlen I once read. I've quoted it numerous times, so when I actually find the article I'll have to see if I've quoted it correctly, or morphed it into my own ideas of what it should have said.

But essentially, I think she wrote it shortly after Bush 43 became President and she was weighing the chances of his success, and she boiled it down to one thing: how much he loved his job. She basically theorized that the country somehow gets the vibes of their president, who somehow leads the collective consciousness of the country with either a joie de vivre or its opposite, whatever that may be.

Who we don't want as President is someone like Jimmy Carter, who she said carried his responsibilities as president as if they were the Stations of the Cross.

OTOH, think about the times when America did best... when it was led by people who CLEARLY loved their jobs. Reagan was one, and Clinton another. (I personally feel that Reagan's optimism was the best thing he had going of him.) So her bottom line was, we'd have to see how much Bush loved his job to determine how well we would do under him.

History has spoken... (I guess he's probably much happier painting pictures of his dog.)
    It's probably too early to believe that history has rendered a verdict on GWB, but I think you're right on the optimism thing.

I think you're on target there, and it's reflected in both current candidates low approval ratings. Guys like Reagan or Hubert Humphrey actually seemed to be having fun. Right now, it's a contest between an insatiable ego and a pathological obsession with power. It's painful to watch either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Xmac View Post
    This guy got fired for reporting that HRC's health is questionable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ufuAPVRIY
    OP, it seems that Dr Drew suffered the same fate.

Thread Information