Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What is Your Favorite Hobby?

Favourite hobby - currently roller derby.
    Also walking, knitting/crocheting, reading, cooking, making spreadsheets, listening to podcasts.
    I'd like to take my dog to agility but am limited re: time/money.

Next year gardening I hope, and I want to make a largish terrarium/aquarium in my new house.

Geez - I want to smack some of these people who shove a bunch of same name people's genealogy together. They don't look at birth dates, locations, children's names or occupations to determine who is who. It isn't always easy to figure these things out when the same name people live right next door to each other and are closely related but when they are living in Rhode Island and Iowa at the same time and were born 40 years apart - it is easy. And! This is why so much info is wrong. But these are the jerks that post the info on every genealogy website to mess everyone up! This is probably someone who is charging a customer 50 bucks an hour for erroneous information - it drives me batty!

Now that i can see better, I tried needlepointing again and can see to do it! I like to do these kits of Klimt paintings, I'm on the second of three. The kits are pricey and having them blocked and made into pillows I have not found for less than $100. So for now I'm doing them just to do them but I would love to eventually have the pillows made.

I used to do embroidery but now it gives me a headache. Oh well, genealogy replaced it as my favorite hobby.

Oh my - I have been researching my 3 times great grandmothers brother who was married 5 times but only had one child who had children (as far as I know). Anyway her family has her maiden name wrong and they are posting trying to find info on genealogy - they won't because the name is wrong. Now, I know the childrens names and she was married at least 3 times. Strangely, her oldest child was born about 3 years before she married the father and I think she was about 14 when she had him. It is unusual to learn this because families kept things like that secret but the information is available. Anyway, I found a younger child who died recently at the age of 83 and it said his brother was still alive in the obit. Now, I was thinking it was a mistake but I did some research and he is was still alive a few months ago at the age of ---------103! My jaw dropped when I read the details about his birthday party in a nursing home. He is out of state but wish I could give him the correct maiden name. Then again maybe he doesn't know about his mother having him without marriage.

So, researching genealogy and many of my 3 times great grandfather's children may not have known they were related - and they lived in the same region - creepy because they often married close relatives in the late 1800s (by this time that was frowned upon). Naturally, you see so many infants and children dying - and of course there is no way of knowing if it was genetics or not. By the late 1800s people were beginning to understand the dangers of relative marriages because most were farmers who knew that breeding closely related animals was dangerous. In fact, this is why many people began to move further west. Unfortunately, they often still settled in areas where there were relatives.

Anyway, this ancestor mostly had sisters though some were half-sisters. Anyway, 3 of his sisters married brothers from the same family and 2 other sisters married brothers from the same family. Now all of their descendants mostly live in the same area. Since his father used multiple names and had several marriages - it would be interesting if all of the DNA was collected and analyzed.

It seem like I am the first descendant to crack the code on this family with my research. I suspect that 4 time G grandfather may have been involved in fluid or bigamous marriages because some of the children have overlapping birth dates.

Thread Information