Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Getting Things Done

I like to set a minimum action time for five minutes; often I exceed that.
    Also, I give myself a daily minimum for chores to accomplish. If I get more done, so much the better.

1. to do lists and prioritizing them with numbers (1s most urgent, 2s less so, etc.). Breaking overwhelming tasks down into a list of baby steps that I write down on the list.

2. Setting a timer a la flylady. I do this now for so many things - at work when there's a task I'm procrastinating on ("I'll work on it for one hour and then I can stop," at home when I've let dishes pile up ("just 15 minutes!"). It totally gets me over the "hump" of procrastination, and I'm always surprised by what can be done in a relatively little amount of time. A therapist I know once told me this technique capitalizes on principles basic to rapid eye movement therapy - something about using both parts of the brain. I don't know. It totally works for me.

3. In the last year or so, I've started giving myself time deadlines throughout the day. I'm an English teacher, so in the thick of the semester, I often on the weekends have a goal of grading a certain number of papers each day - usually ten. But I can put them off. So now sometimes I say to myself (and write down), "I have to do four papers by 9 a.m., seven by 11 a.m., and ten by 1 p.m." That forces me to get them out of the way so that I can enjoy the rest of my day. I do that sometimes with tasks on my to do list too.

One more: I've started using the Sidetracked Home Executives' card method. It's a lot like the routines everybody has mentioned. I put all my routines on cards, then file the card into the file for the next day it must be done when I've completed it. The app mentioned earlier probably is the virtual version, but I really think the physical cards make my accomplishments and my to dos really concrete and somehow help me not get overwhelmed.

I don't get all my cards done every day yet, but when I do ... oh my gosh, I'm so much happier. And I've started off with really light routines so they're totally doable. I really do believe routines are the secret to organization, and this is the best method I've found so far for sticking to them.

There's more info on the system here:

http://organizedhome.com/shes-organized

I think I'm going to set up some routines in my office too to keep it decluttered.

My son loves video games, and I read somewhere that listening to video game music helps you focus on tasks better. I asked him to find relaxing video game music for me to listen to and surely enough it's helped me get my cleaning done!

Quote Originally Posted by azurafates View Post
    My son loves video games, and I read somewhere that listening to video game music helps you focus on tasks better. I asked him to find relaxing video game music for me to listen to and surely enough it's helped me get my cleaning done!
    Interesting tactic, azurafates! And, welcome to the board!

I love my dry erase board to just put the most important daily tasks and appointments. I really think I'm a bit ADD so I tried the David Allen Getting Things Done program, but having to look at ALL THOSE LISTS!!! OMG. Totally overwhelming. If I list about 3 things a day on my board and I get them done, that's a success to me. Then it feels SO GOOD to erase them!

I also like music, and I think it centers me (although I've never tried video game music). I go for the classics, like Mozart or 60s folk.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Did someone already suggest having fewer things to do?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Interesting tactic, azurafates! And, welcome to the board!

I love my dry erase board to just put the most important daily tasks and appointments. I really think I'm a bit ADD so I tried the David Allen Getting Things Done program, but having to look at ALL THOSE LISTS!!! OMG. Totally overwhelming. If I list about 3 things a day on my board and I get them done, that's a success to me. Then it feels SO GOOD to erase them!

I also like music, and I think it centers me (although I've never tried video game music). I go for the classics, like Mozart or 60s folk.
    During the last few years of work I put up a dry erase board (after using big pieces of art board taped on my walls) and how I loved Fridays when I would erase items from my To Do lists. I called it Get it Done Fridays.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-13-16 at 2:05pm.

Did someone already suggest having fewer things to do?
    I don't think anyone going to school and working has much to say about that.

Oh lordy is that hard. Harder than I could DO long term probably. Me, I'm just taking a class at a time hoping for a mere certificate while working and oh geez is it hard, granted these are very hard classes (not subatomic physics but 80 pages a week of very dense technical material hard - not light reading). Almost done with that, but I don't think I knew what I was getting into ...

But yea at a certain point it's not about organizing but doing too much. For instance I think about cooking, and how I could make easier meals etc. - is a rotisserie chicken always so bad, etc., what if it's organic? Canned beans are ok right? Yea and I kind of *LIKE* cooking. But overwhelm at a certain point. I won't just surrender and eat complete garbage though, no can do.
    Trees don't grow on money

Apatheticnomore - may I suggest rethinking "convenience food"?

i tend end to eat groceries - apples, pears, plums, peaches, all come ready to eat in edible packages - wash and go. For a banana, discard the package. A pepper can be eaten like an apple. Broccoli can be eaten like an ice cream cone (my kids used to do this) Carrots need only be peeled, green beans and cucumbers need only be washed. Shelled nuts in a bag, I've been known to buy a loaf of whole grain bread and litterally tear off chunks to go in my lunch. You can break off a chunk of cheese too.

my dd cooks an entire pot of beans and eats them cold all week.

not elegant, but nutritious.

I have always done certain things daily unless I am really sick such as: pick up stuff and put where it belongs, clean up kitchen, etc. If you can keep the house neat then when you do need to clean it goes so much faster and easier. Of course when you have kids it is definitely more of a challenge. I have known people to do laundry daily but really it wastes time because then you need to fold it/put if away or it becomes part of the clutter. Much better to do it while cleaning house and you are getting 2 things done at once. I also try to cook more then what we will eat that day so we can eat leftovers for a few meals. I keep some convenience foods on hand for when I am feeling lazy.

Thread Information