Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Basket of Deplorables"

"Basket of Deplorables"

What a clumsy, ugly turn of phrase from someone attempting to sneer at her presumed moral and intellectual inferiors. You would have thought her speechwriters could have come up with something a little more elegant than that. Even "Bitter Clingers" was able to strike the right note of condescension with a little more style.

A strange choice of words, for sure.. . Maybe this is why she is so rarely seen/heard in public?

I'm a Democrat, but I was surprised at her comment. It's not nice, but also, it's politically stupid. Doesn't she realize that his supporters are her potential supporters? Harkens back to Romney's 47%, but he said it thinking he was off-mike. She said it directly to the audience.

Hillary, Hillary, Hillary. Maybe her pneumonia made her brain a little foggy.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It made me picture Donald Trump as a sort of malevolent Easter Bunny hiding deplorables for the good little PC children to hunt. I can see insulting your opponent, but insulting any significant part of the electorate doesn't seem like sound strategy.

Gone are the happy days when a guy like Churchill could refer to opponents as "a curious mixture of geniality and venom", or " a modest man with much to be modest about".

"Irredeemable", "Not American".

I wonder who she will appoint to run the re-education camps...

Trump has what, ~40% or so of the vote in the polls? 129 million people voted in the last Presidential election, so even assuming all the undecided/3rd-Party folks vote Clinton, that's 51.6 million Trump voters. Hillary thinks half of them, or 25.8 million Americans, aren't *really* American, and are "irredeemable". And the real number of non-Americans is probably higher, the voter turnout in 2012 was only 55%...

Trump kind of makes tons of people feel like non-Americans though, so it's hardly a Clinton thing. Does anyone really believe most minorities (and especially of targeted groups like Mexicans and I mean citizens) really think Trump welcomes them. Give me a break. How stupid are people supposed to be.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Trump has what, ~40% or so of the vote in the polls? 129 million people voted in the last Presidential election, so even assuming all the undecided/3rd-Party folks vote Clinton, that's 51.6 million Trump voters. Hillary thinks half of them, or 25.8 million Americans, aren't *really* American, and are "irredeemable". And the real number of non-Americans is probably higher, the voter turnout in 2012 was only 55%...
    What's interesting (at least to me) is that the Trump people don't seem interested in playing either the deplorable thing of the fainting thing up. In this sad campaign, it seems like the less attention either candidate gets the better it is for their opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    What a clumsy, ugly turn of phrase from someone attempting to sneer at her presumed moral and intellectual inferiors.
    I'm a great believer in context and the audience she was speaking to, democratic donors, seemed to be just fine with it. It's not the first time a politician told the audience what they wanted to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    How stupid are people supposed to be.
    That's a rhetorical question, right?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I wonder who she will appoint to run the re-education camps...
    My guess is, the highest bidder. That's why I've decided not to worry about her impending election and what effect it will have on the Supreme Court. She naturally hasn't published her rates but I'm sure conservatives can buy as many seats as may come available.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information