Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Animal Shelter - Volunteer or Foster Parent?

LilyBean is very cute) WE have taken in some old dogs on their last legs when their long time owners did not want them but don't do that anymore-too expensive and heartbreaking. We don't foster because my DH can't stand to give them up. We have also adopted mill dogs. It takes a long time to socialize them, etc but definitely worth it. Right now we have 4 old dogs so lots of meds and vet bills. It is also hard to find an RV park that will take 4 even though 3 of them only are 5lbs. WE got the RV thinking it would be easy to travel with them. Now that we are older as they go we will downsize to 1 or 2 but I would never, ever be without at least 1 dog.

I, too, will never, ever live without a dog. I don't know the details but NY passed a law that senior apts have to accept a resident's dog or cat up to a certain size. I think that's great.

Geila
    Thanks for the responses everyone - especially Iris Lilies with the detailed info.

I met with the coordinator this morning and just by walking around the shelter I wanted to bring several of the pets home. But I also realized that I was trying to distract myself from feeling the loss of our beloved cat. I need to wait a while for the loss to process and to give our family pets a chance to adjust to having lost a member of their pack. The cat was very attached to the dogs and his presence will be missed by all of us.

So I'm going to hold off on fostering for now. I don't know if I'm ready to volunteer either. It was hard to see so many wonderful pets there. So many beautiful and sad little faces staring out hoping for attention. Breaks my heart. But I might be ready next month for the volunteer orientation.

I think it's great that you recognize you need time to grieve

Freshstart, it is a good idea but has to come with limits. My motherinlaw's building became a pet allowed building. Several dogs have already been evicted because the owners don't clean up after them, the dogs barked all day, the dogs went after other people in the building, the dogs damaged property, etc. Frustrating since it is the owner's problem and the dogs could be worked with to resolve most of the issues.

It is the few bad owners that make the issue such a problem.

I volunteered at a local shelter taking care of cats. Fostering older cats would be much preferred to housing in a shelter. Older cats understand they've lost their home and can go into a depressive state. If the owner died, and no relative can take them in, they feel it bad. I did not have a cat of my own at that time and it was hard to go. I got caught up in their struggle and always felt so bad for the older ones. If people can foster an older cat, that might help alot. Being in a home makes a big difference in their lives. A shelter is a small cage, well cared for but confined, noisy and without affection of a steady human connection.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I volunteered at a local shelter taking care of cats. Fostering older cats would be much preferred to housing in a shelter. Older cats understand they've lost their home and can go into a depressive state. If the owner died, and no relative can take them in, they feel it bad. I did not have a cat of my own at that time and it was hard to go. I got caught up in their struggle and always felt so bad for the older ones. If people can foster an older cat, that might help alot. Being in a home makes a big difference in their lives. A shelter is a small cage, well cared for but confined, noisy and without affection of a steady human connection.
    Ah, I feel so sorry for the older cats, too! While I want to be without cats for a while while we travel, if I DO get a cat after our two die off, I would want a guarantee that the cat is at least ten years old. Any kitten or young cat will quite possibly out live me, and
    jane, that is a tragedy of a different kind, old pets with dead owners.

Our wills have established a caretaker for our cats. At the present time it is the founder of the local feral cat group and she will get a big % of our estate. We also coordinated with a local small "house" shelter as a co-guardian in case of need. We trust them completely to do what is best for our cats.

It is the forgotten ones that have such problems. A cat adopted by one of mom's neighbors was taken in by the family as a house cat when she died. They even took one of the owner's blankets so he could have her smell. What a nice family.
    Last edited by sweetana3; 10-6-16 at 7:23am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ah, I feel so sorry for the older cats, too! While I want to be without cats for a while while we travel, if I DO get a cat after our two die off, I would want a guarantee that the cat is at least ten years old. Any kitten or young cat will quite possibly out live me, and
    jane, that is a tragedy of a different kind, old pets with dead owners.
    Yes, I've thought about that. Oregon Humane has a deal where you can sign up to have them care for your pet after you're gone, and they have a fabulous record of finding homes for even elderly cats, so that would give me some reassurance.

Thread Information