Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wealthy self help guru only owns 15 things (article)

Owning 15 things is probably do-able under a variety of circumstances.

But I think this dude has since disavowed minimalism...

In what circumstances in which you actually cook and eat is it doable so one pot that's one thing, a plate that's a thing, a fork and maybe a spoon, and maybe one cutting knife and then we're up to 5 already - only 10 things left - one days clothes will get one a pair of pants, a shirt, underwear, shoes, only 6 left, if we have two days of clothes (which unless one is doing laundry daily ...) we're down to only 3 more things. And I'm even assuming we aren't wearing socks (I don't' always wear socks). Some people don't wear underwear either so I guess that is one way (heaven forbid one is female and has to add a bra to the list of things).
    Trees don't grow on money

Well, there are lots of raw foods one can eat with just one's hand. But I have a sporknife at work. It is a spoon, fork, and serrated butter knife all at once. It does almost anything!

If you worked a job where they did not care what clothing you wore then you could get away with have very few clothes, if you lived in a place with a decent climate -- not Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I would think he would run out of places to stay for free. That is using your friends.
    He also seems completely unprepared to help himself or others in troublesome circumstances. I mean, he doesn't even own a bandaid to deal with so much as a papercut.

So he's ultimately relying on others for his entire life support system.

Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    ...the way the Nearings chose to live was pretty awesome, and they built two houses (first in Vermont, second in Maine) and forged a farmstead around their beliefs, which included the balance of work and play that Catherine mentioned, as well as music, a strong social life, and a commitment to vegetarianism, all of which appealed to me.

I can't understand how you build a life around an Ipad, but I know that may people do, and then blog about it, and have lots of followers. So I guess dreams and aspirational lifestyles change over the generations.
    Some good points. I would like to think that the iPad lifestyle isn't necessarily a replacement for the Nearing route, but just another path to a more simple lifestyle that isn't so reliant on money and traditional work-for-the-man until you die. I'm not sure exactly what has happened to the back to the land movement, although I think about it. The Nearings were a part of it, but tend to think they were among the pioneers of something that has matured to state that is more practical for the masses. Now small scale and organic farming are common, and you can belong to a CSA or even buy organic in the supermarket chains. And even an iPad based lifestyle can include music, the arts, and a strong social life.

I wonder about the same thing with the conservation movement, where you had the Thoreaus, Teddy Roosevelts, and Muirs that spent large parts of time living in the out of doors and now the environmentalists carry briefcases instead of backpacks. Maybe one doesn't replace the other but just builds to become better?

and if he's relying on others to be his support system, how exactly is he raising the kids? It's one thing to couch surf as a valid adult life choice, it's another if there are children involved. I'd like to know his visitation system with them. Assuming he has kids, it seemed like he does from the article.

Some things kids should never know and yet he reveals them-ugh! Some thoughts should go to the grave with you. I really, really dislike this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Some things kids should never know and yet he reveals them-ugh! Some thoughts should go to the grave with you. I really, really dislike this guy.
    Oh wow, I just read the link the freshstart posted.

What a lot of damage parents can do, saying these things.

I feel bad for the mom, he probably comes off as cool, famous, eccentric dad who for some reason can't do basic parental things: "I try to do one thing really well as a father. Since I can’t be there every day for them. Or take them to all of their events. Or arrange their schooling or playdates or anything like that. So now that I’ve learned to love them more than I thought humanly possible I try to do one thing very well.When they are here, I listen to them."

BFD, he's not working a traditional job so why can't he do all of the things he says he can't? What judge would say, "no sorry, you can't have input into their schooling or go to their soccer games,"? He'd have to have done something pretty awful, to me, it sounds like he's choosing to be the exact type of father he is. One who listens, that's great. But how about showing up?

Thread Information