Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What if he really wins??

What if he really wins??

I'm trying to imagine our country if Trump wins. I really can't. I mean..........really. What would you envision?
    Chaos. I think the fact that he's done so well (and I hope I'm not offending too many here)......shows how many uninformed, angry, uneducated, aggressive people there are now in the U.S. He may have had a couple reasonable ideas at the beginning, but then he went schizoid. Seriously........what do you think would happen to the U.S.? We'd be the joke of the world, I think. I can't believe we even have reason to be worried.

I see war rampant, military excited. He will be the commander in chief. I just hope people wake up to the importance of having a sane person in the position of ruling the world, not a man who thinks anyone who disagrees with him needs to be bullied into submission. He's made blatant bigotry, hate and misogyny not only acceptable but required!

Trump's a fool, but we've been badly led before. The Republic will survive.

We might even benefit in the long run. After years of drift toward a more imperial presidency, the country at large may learn a new appreciation for constitutional checks and balances. If anything, this election has highlighted a growing dissatisfaction with political elites on both the left and right. Hopefully some good will come of that. Perhaps they will learn that you can't arrogantly dismiss large segments of the population as a basket of uninformed, angry, uneducated deplorables without consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I see war rampant, military excited. He will be the commander in chief. I just hope people wake up to the importance of having a sane person in the position of ruling the world, not a man who thinks anyone who disagrees with him needs to be bullied into submission. He's made blatant bigotry, hate and misogyny not only acceptable but required!
    If you think the military is excited by the prospect of Trump as Commander-in-Chief, you haven't been paying attention to all those retired officers who have been saying much the opposite.

Not much of substance will happen. The President isn't the King, contrary to popular opinion. Assuming the other two ranches of our government do their jobs, we'll be fine.

The supreme court will go super right wing. Other than that I think we'll just be doing a sad-lol for 4 years.

The president has a lot of power (like to decide who to kill, uh drone). Plus to fill a lot of administrative slots. But Trump is probably too much of a novice to make much use of it except for narrow corruption, as he's in over his head. So I think other people would mostly run the show. Those other people might be pretty bad (Pence for instance).

If you think the military is excited by the prospect of Trump as Commander-in-Chief, you haven't been paying attention to all those retired officers who have been saying much the opposite.
    yea Hillary is the hawk here, not that I'd rule out Trump being hawkish enough out of sheer bumbling or far more likely based on who he is advised by (has some pretty bad picks). But the MIC has overwhelmingly endorsed Hillary, as well as neo-cons, Henry Kissinger etc.. Believe what you see. The war machine doesn't favor Trump.

I do think a Trump win might empower a bunch of bigots with no political power as such to do racist stuff (torch a mosque or something) but that's by sheer example (just a *bully* pulpit type thing not by any actual power Trump has).

Checks and balances, how I wish we could eliminate the Presidency entirely, it makes very little sense to have one.
    Trees don't grow on money

I do expect to hear more discussion of Congressional veto power. He will have the SCOTUS to deal with, but he is used to being in court and won't be using Congressmen as his lawyers on retainer. Life will go on as usual, and people will wonder how we got here.

I did hear an interesting discussion about this, elsewhere. I do consider this similar to the Perot time frame and expect we will see a bigger Johnson support, as a none of the above/no confidence vote in the other two parties. Some call that a wasted vote, others call it a conscientious objection, in the same vane as not voting. But in the discussion which I more hovered around, a comment has me thinking, as one thing they mentioned was how our state has the party vote, where you choose a side, then you choose your candidate from that side. (the primaries) What they asked was if we, as a society, could pick a candidate from both sides, so that the public would choose ones they could live with (more moderates, then extremes), or would it turn into a blood fest, where they pick their want and someone weaker for them to go up against. (more general populace voting which might bring more moderates, or not much of a percentage change in voters, but those voting going more as strategists)

I think the country will bumble on as usual. There are checks and balances in place to help keep the President in check.

Except for bigotry. My greatest fear is that more people will start to think like those men who set a woman on fire in NYC just because of what she was wearing. That open violence towards those not exactly like you will become more acceptable. Because Trump so openly espouses rampant discrimination on race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, ethnicity.

What I really fear is what Trump would do on the international level. His apparent inability to censor what comes out of his mouth would probably lose us many allies. And I don't care how "great" the US is, we need allies more than we need enemies.

The majority of Americans need to learn a tough lesson: Stupidity has consequences.

Trump is the man to teach Americans that lesson.

It'll be a tough 4 years though. haha

Thread Information