Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATTN: Student Loan-drones

What? Crap, i’ve Been working for a 501c for 10 years - I coulda had a masters degree?

I'm tired of people complaining about loans that voluntarily took out. Suck it up. I paid over $100,000 of loans that my ex and current wife took out for school. I don't complain as they got a lot of knowledge from the process. I complain more about people who walked away from their homes and didn't suffer consequences of imputed income related tax bills

What? Crap, i’ve Been working for a 501c for 10 years - I coulda had a masters degree?
    wait I could have worked at the same place for 10 years?!?

(Ok maybe and maybe not, but I suspect that type of job security is more common in government work.)

10 years might seem like a sentence, but if one assumes they will be working anyway, job hopping is really no funner. It might seem like it is due to variety, but it's a roll of the dice, which sometimes end up losing more than is gained as there's a lot of bad out there, and the process itself sucks.
    Trees don't grow on money

I think wallowing in victim culture obscures the real issue: Canine Privilege.

Who sleeps and plays all day with no thought to the common people toiling to make their sumptuous lifestyle possible? We complain of the rich paying a mere 30-40% of their income for the common good, but what do dogs pay? Nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

Who sleeps and plays all day with no thought to the common people toiling to make their sumptuous lifestyle possible? We complain of the rich paying a mere 30-40% of their income for the common good, but what do dogs pay? Nothing!
    Whose grain-free salmon food just went up to 4 dollars a pound, while their servant/master tries to limit their own food prices to 1 dollar per pound?

I think it's a bit species-ist to address this without also discussing the very real issue of Feline Privilege. At least dogs display some degree of gratitude.

Oh hell yes, I often remark that the “dumb” bulldogs are smart enough to engineer a life where they sleep on the counch all day, get regular meals and treat, all with no work required. Well, we do ask that our white bulldog make us laugh a couple of times a week, but that isnt real work,for him because that is just his nature.

I have told my spoiled pooches to get jobs yet they refuse. However, DH says they have a job making us laugh and showering us with love

Williamsmith
    I read a Wall Street Journal article by Josh Mitchell entitled, “Student-debt Foregiveness is a Wonderful Boon, Until the IRS Comes Calling.” June 24, 2018.

Mitchell addresses what’s been coined the “tax bomb”. Apparently the IRS considers the foregiven loan amounts as income in the year which the loan is expunged. This can result in a large unexpected tax bill. And certain well off enrollees are more likely to minimize their “bomb fallout” than say the struggling minimalist who doesn’t have the resources to tap into. In other words, the poorer segment again shoulders more of the burden, unless the politicians decide to write the IRS out of the business of collecting taxes on “loan drones”. In that event, all tax payers will be on the hook for billions of dollars.

Experts say inequities in the student-lending system are also underlined by the looming tax bomb. Many borrowers with large debts hold graduate degrees or attended prestigious private schools. They are likely earning high incomes and have consulted financial advisers on the best way to receive the biggest benefits under income-driven repayment, and how to reduce their tax burden. Meanwhile, many low-income borrowers lack such resources and have a greater risk of being on the hook for unexpected tax bills.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/student...ing-1529852411

Interesting! Reminds me of when my oldest son worked for a large state university and he was lucky enough to get tuition remission for his law degree, which he worked for at night. Fantastic, right?? No student loan debt at all. BUT his tuition was also seen as income, and he had to pay tax on it during those 5 years he was a student. It put him into serious financial hardship for those years.

Obviously he didn't complain about getting a "free" law degree, but still, I think your article points out a factor not many people consider when accepting these freebies.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information